ABS Light - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ABS Light
Friday, January 19, 2007 12:32 PM
Hey guys.

My ABS light stays constantly lit.

The breaks work great and I don't hear any grinding or anything.

What should I do?

Thanks.

Re: ABS Light
Thursday, February 15, 2007 2:49 PM
I have the same problem on my 97' Cavalier, everything works fine but it wont turn off.
Thursday, February 15, 2007 7:38 PM
If the ABS light is ON the ABS system has a fault and is disabled.

The Braking system reverts to NON ABS---i.e. you have normal braking but no antilock braking

Alont.
Sunday, February 25, 2007 3:36 PM
How do you get ABS codes, can you read them through the OBD2 port or do you need a special code reader?

Scott
2002 Audi S4, black
1996 Z24 auto, red

Sunday, February 25, 2007 8:12 PM
ABS codes aren't covered under the OBD standard, but you might be able to read them with some proprietary equipment. I've got the same problem with my 98 2200 4spd. The ABS unit in these cars is a very failure prone part. A mechanic I know says he replaces tons of these in J's and Grand Ams. Unless it's something like a dirty wheel speed sensor, the only thing to do is to replace the ABS unit with another faulty $300 OEM replacement. Unless you really want ABS badly or can locate a new version of the part that won't break, I'd just let it go. I think GM caught onto this because the ABS controller on my 02 2200 is completely different. Back when the ABS worked on my 98, it made a clunk-clunk-clunk sound when going over a patch of ice or something. My 02 just hums and kicks out the brake pedal when the ABS kicks in.

2002 Cavalier 2200 5spd

Monday, February 26, 2007 10:43 PM
Yap i have the same thing but mine has "ETS OFF" amd "ABS". The Abs system works fine but i think its a dirty speed sensor. It sometimes goes off but as soon as i turn the wheel it comes back on. I wonder if Honda has problems like GM does.

---------------------------------------------------------
The Chronicles of Dust
View the website and read the Novel.
http://dustnovel.webs.com

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 1:10 PM
Actually Honda does have problems like this. My cousin's Accord had the ABS light on since he bought it.

2002 Cavalier 2200 5spd

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search