heater resistror splice - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
heater resistror splice
Wednesday, January 17, 2007 10:34 AM
Has anyone done the mod to the Heater switch described in pg 3 of the sticky:
The ''Help! Low Blower speeds don't work!'' post ?

just wondered if anything "bad" would result from doing it..

Solid Snake's blower resistor fix...

Restore all your blower speeds without having to remove your blower or blower resistors and without paying good money for an expensive, failure-prone replacement.

(I take no responsibility for anything that happens to you or your car before/while/after attempting this fix.)

1. First, remove your dash and stereo trim plate (same procedure as removing head unit)
2. Remove the two bolts holding the HVAC controls in place.
3. If your lowest speed does not work (very likely), splice a 2.7 Ohm, 15W resistor between the black/white and tan wires behind the blower speed rotary switch. If your second lowest speed was already working, You're done!
4. If your second lowest speed does not work (not as likely) splice a 1.0 ohm, 15W resistor between the tan and light blue wire. You're done!

I recommend the ceramic, wire-wound type of resistor. These are available at RadioShack for a buck or two. Note that the resistors WILL get very hot while you're using the lower speeds. They will get too hot to touch, but shouldn't get hot enough to damage plastics or wires. If the heat bothers you, I recommend attaching the resistors to a piece of structural metal under the dash (not your head unit). You can also attach a small heatsink to the resistors to help cool them and let them hang from the wiring. You may notice a funny smell as the resistors heat up for the first time. This will go away.

If anyone wants to make this a part of the first post, please do.

View ProfilePrivate Message

Re: heater resistror splice
Wednesday, January 17, 2007 1:12 PM
I would just buy a replacement. That does not sound like the best nor safest thing to do.

Sold 6/30/06.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search