spedometer - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
spedometer
Monday, January 08, 2007 6:29 AM
I was searching old posts and didn't come up with a whole lot, got one thing I need to look at but just wondering what you guy's thoughts were about this. My car is a 2004 cavalier, and the spedometer just started acting up, while driving the spedo needle is straight down between the 0 and 110 numbers. When i stop the needle goes counter-clockwise to about 70 or so....any idea what would cause this?

Re: spedometer
Monday, January 08, 2007 12:40 PM
My guess would be you got a faulty Cluster speedo, My buddy has a 04 cavalier with 60,000kms on it, The speedo works when ever it wants too. Some days it works, Other days no worky. I believe he just replaced the cluster it works with np's now.
Monday, January 08, 2007 12:58 PM
replace the cluster its a common problem

Monday, January 08, 2007 1:34 PM
that sucks.....oh well thanks guys
Monday, January 08, 2007 4:50 PM
Speedometers in the J's are garbage because they are not a true stepper motor, they are susceptible to all kinds of stuff including dust dirt changes in temperature etc it's an air core is really all it is.
Monday, January 08, 2007 5:34 PM
As I said in the other speedo post you posted in...

Shifted wrote:^ Where do you get that info?

What is an "air core"?

The cluster motors are stepper motors, real stepper motors.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Monday, January 08, 2007 8:27 PM
Shifted then if that's true and they are real stepper motors, how come someone else on here says they're not if you scan the forums and go through the posts someone Joe i think it was said they are not real stepper motors and that that is why the speedo needles act crazy.
Tuesday, January 09, 2007 4:26 AM
Post the link to the post you found, but in the mean time, read this one:

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=47&i=42777&t=42777

And remember, not EVERYTHING you read on the internet, especially from the people on forums (this forum is no different), is true and is more guesses and bull@!#$ than facts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, January 09, 2007 4:27 AM

Tuesday, January 09, 2007 5:13 AM
Maintenance forum page 2, thread called speedo getting stuck a guy named too rew 2b true says the speedos on the cavys are not true stepper motors go there and see it for yourself if you don't believe me .
Tuesday, January 09, 2007 6:00 AM
I'm not saying I don't believe you saw that... what I'm saying is its wrong. The motors are stepper motors, I have no idea what an "air core" is, even google didn't turn anything up about "air core" and "motor".

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search