Car Won't Start - Cranks, but won't run (2.4L) - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Car Won't Start - Cranks, but won't run (2.4L)
Saturday, January 06, 2007 9:07 AM
My buddy has a '99 Grand Am with the 2.4L in it. He was driving it and it started to feel sluggish. It progressively got worse, and finally at the end of the day, it died on him. You turn the key, it cranks, but won't start. I noticed if you hold the gas pedal to the floor while you crank it, you can get it to start, but only for a few seconds.

Thinking it had something to do with the ignition module, I took the idi cover off of my car (which I know is functional) and put it on his car along with new spark plugs. Same result, still won't start. Now I'm thinking it has something to do with fuel. I'm going to put my fuel rail with on with my injectors, FPR, and fuel pressure gauge to see if I can find anything out.

Any other suggestions as to what it might be?

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R

Re: Car Won't Start - Cranks, but won't run (2.4L)
Saturday, January 06, 2007 9:17 AM
fuel pump and filter.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Saturday, January 06, 2007 2:19 PM
Not a fuel issue. I just ruled that out.

I took the idi cover off, plugged it in, and put a spark plug on one of the coils. I tried to start it, and no spark at all. Tried it on all of the coils, and I would get a small bit of spark every now and then. What would cause this?

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Saturday, January 06, 2007 4:52 PM
Just had a bad spurt with my 2.2 last weekend. Wouldn't start at all. Crank OK, smell of fuel was strong, occasional tease of spark and the engine slowed sometimes for flooding. Turns out the camshaft sensor was on strike. Finally got it to start, got the code and the MIL. I lovingly abused it for a short time on the open highway to recharge the battery and cool the starter. No hint whatsoever of any trouble since. I'm keeping an eye on it, and am thinking of getting a sensor for back up
Sunday, January 07, 2007 2:05 PM
if you are testing for LACK of fuel (usually pump,. but dont dismiss the injectors), there is a simple test.

remove the intake pipe from the throttle body. have a buddy hold the throttle at about 50% and crank the vehicle. While he or she is doing that, spray intake cleaner into the Throttle. if it begins to run, you've isolated the problem to fuel.

Caution: when you stop spraying it MAY backfire from the throttle body, make sure your friend releases the pedal as you stop spraying, otherwise a nice flame comes out and removes the hair from your arm!
Sunday, January 07, 2007 4:29 PM
ok jeff svodoba i have a similar problem but am not sure, so first of all where can i find my cam sensor i found my crank shaft sensor and it did no good to replace, i hear my pump when i turn the ignition on, and the car sounds healthy when it turns over. and also i have aready had a flame come out of my tb with out the intake spray. i hear a swooshing sound coming out of the tb sometimes and i get back fire. what could it be. i have had advice that it may be timing. but any help would be great.

sorry did you not want me to pass you?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search