What Would Benefit Motor More, High Mileage or Mobil 1 Synthetic? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What Would Benefit Motor More, High Mileage or Mobil 1 Synthetic?
Thursday, January 04, 2007 2:12 PM
My GFs 2.4 is now nearing 90K miles on her 1996 2.4 Vert 5 Speed and we are hoping this car lasts a long time since we are both in college and commuters. Also I just replaced the head gasket and chain, tensioner, guides etc. So now that on the motor it is at 90K I want to put good oil in it to prolong the 2.4 short comings. This car is not raced and does not see anything past 4500 RPM, lol.

What would be better Mobil 1 5W-30 or some high mileage stuff?

Thanks
Chris

http://members.cardomain.com/vertz24 1998 Z24 Convertible
2.3-2.4 HO ADAPTER FLANGES 65$ shipped, Check GP Forum!

Re: What Would Benefit Motor More, High Mileage or Mobil 1 Synthetic?
Thursday, January 04, 2007 4:11 PM
I would recommend routine oil changes with conventional parts, all the fancy stuff just costs more.
Spend the money you save elsewhwere.
Thursday, January 04, 2007 6:46 PM
I asked this question a few times. I am pretty sure that the Higher Mileage one is a synthetic blend and the Mobil 1 is a full synthetic so when u factor in the prices you would be much better off with the full synthetic and your motor will thank you, especially in the cold weather!
Thursday, January 04, 2007 10:27 PM
go Mobil 1, full synthetic is far better than any other oil on the market, and will do just fine on an older motor (98k miles and still strong), its not only better for lubrication, its clean as well, and keeps components clean. Also a little miss conception, Mobil 1 is the only 100% synthetic motor oil on the market, while the others claiming to be fully synthetic, i believe the standard is like 80% to be considered full synthetic, and the other companies use parafins (ie wax) to make up the other 20% or so.

Friday, January 05, 2007 2:39 AM
I'd just use a Regular Castrol oil or Valine oil, Add a bottle of Lucas stabalizer.
Friday, January 05, 2007 8:37 AM
I have recently saw soem reports that synthetic is good for new car but once your car is high milage like 100K dont go full synthetic. It tends to leak past more dure to wear. Now if your car has always used syntheic keep it that way. High Mileage oils are the way to go if you have had convential motor oil already
Saturday, January 06, 2007 12:03 AM
For more than probably care to know about oil, an excellent forum is at
BobIsTheOilGuy
Saturday, January 06, 2007 10:50 AM
i hear nothing but bad things about the lucas stuff.

Saturday, January 06, 2007 11:55 AM
I use sae-30 here in florida on my 96 2.4
Sunday, January 07, 2007 6:59 AM
Vincent i've seen the stuff your talking about, the lucas stuff but have never used any thanks for the advice also i saw where chris i believe his name was said he changed his chain. He only has about 90k or so on his car do the 2.2 ecotecs vary in comparison to the older 2.4's as to when you should replace your timing chain, because my 04 Ls sedan 2.2 ecotec is nearing 80k, i'm thinking i'm probably good till at least 125k possibly even 150 but have a feeling that may be stretching it i have asked about this before
Sunday, January 07, 2007 1:55 PM
Stephen Peck is right. I have heard athat as well, and have an experience too.

I have a 1988 Nissan 200SX. A while back i decided i wanted to use Mobil 1 FS, instead of my normal Valv. Max life. Well this was a poor choice. Mind you, the car has over 200,000 miles, so its got way more wear n tear than 90,000, but nonetheless. The car would hold a good oil pressure, gas mileage was down (to 13 from 21), and it ran like a turd!

Valvoline has a maxlife synthetic now..but considering the above, it makes little to no sense.

By the way, the Bob is the oil guy website is VERY informative. i suggest reading the air filter tests. definately a good read. (you have to register to read.)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search