Grinding noise, need help! - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Grinding noise, need help!
Wednesday, January 03, 2007 8:22 AM
Hi all,
I have a '95 Sunfire, 2.2 ohv, 3 spd. auto. Right after I replaced the head gasket recently, the car developed a loud grinding sound when turning left, and has recently started producing a squealing sound similar to what you hear when the brakes need changing. The grinding sound only happens when turning left, the squealing sound happens sometimes when I turn left and sometimes when going straight down the road. The brakes are good. I have tried rocking the front wheels top to bottom, and there is no play, so I assume I can rule out ball joints. There is no popping/clicking sound when turning, so that should rule out cv joints. Additionally, when I put the car in park and the car comes to rest against the tranny, I can hear and feel a vibration coming from the engine bay. When I rev the engine while in park, the engine will move just a little. The car also makes a clunk sound when taking off from a stop, and bangs into gear when placed in either drive or reverse gears. I'm thinking all of this may be a motor mount issue, especially since I had to let the engine off the upper mount when I replaced the head gasket, meaning the mount would have likely moved around somewhat once the weight of the engine was taken off of it. So, I'm wondering, what all do I need to look for when checking the motor mounts -- how can I tell if they weren't set back in place correctly or if they somehow went bad, etc. If anyone has any suggestions/ideas, please let me know! I don't think the car is going to take much more the way things are sounding.

I can't type in cursive!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search