Timing adjustemnt - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Timing adjustemnt
Wednesday, January 03, 2007 1:27 AM
I got a month ago a 89 2.0L OHC sunbird for a beater. The acceleration on it is total crap so since I have some free time I decided to look into it. When I checked the ignition timing with a strobe light I found the thing was WAY off. The groove in the crank pulley was about 2 cm before the timing scale. I adjusted the distributor to correctly but the car bareley ran . I moved the distributor back to the intial position and then adjusted the distributor while doing test drives. I got it to run better but the notch is even more than 2 cm behind the timing scale. I suppose someone skipped a tooth when installing the timing belt. My question is: Is it possible to pull the belt of the camshaft sprocket(maybe pry it with a screwdriver), move the crank pulley until the marks align and then force the belt on the sprocket again, all this without loosening the water pump. I want to avoid the loosening of the water pump since the seal might not reseal correctly and it would just skip a lot of headaches. Thanks

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search