Question about Spark Plug Arc.. - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Question about Spark Plug Arc..
Monday, January 01, 2007 6:03 PM
I'm having an issue with my car not starting, starting today on the first day of the new year, whoopee. Anyways, I tried jumping it, to no avail. Listened for the fuel pump and heard it humming, pulled out spark plug #1 and plugged it into the plug wires and looked for an arc, as my wife turned over the car 1 crank and I saw no arc. Is this the correct way to check for an arc on a spark plug? Also, am I checking the correct plug?

The plug was pretty fouled and have not been changed in awhile, so this could be the culprit. Just wondering what the JBO had to say about it.

----------------------------

Re: Question about Spark Plug Arc..
Monday, January 01, 2007 6:18 PM
If it was fouled, put a fresh plug in and see.

There's a tool out now to check for spark (safety thing), but that's the old school method.

Monday, January 01, 2007 7:02 PM
I agree with Kardain

but

Was the body of the plug grounded to the engine block to provide the return path?

Alont
Monday, January 01, 2007 7:05 PM
the only thing that it was touching was the metal of the spark plug wire.

Monday, January 01, 2007 7:22 PM
Ahh... the plug is grounded through the block, so you need to place it close to something metal (radiator support for example) for the spark to show.

Monday, January 01, 2007 7:33 PM
Ok, I'll give it another go tomorrow, as its 10:45 here and my car is in another city. Thanks for the help guys.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007 5:38 AM
Well, the spark plugs arced, and I second guessed my wifes ear and I did not hear the fuel pump running while SHE turned the key on. I took off the intake and poured a little bit of gas into the TB and it fired right up. Looks like I get to change a fuel pump.

Got a quote from a shop for 168 dollars in labor for putting in a new fuel pump. They wanted to charge me 422 for the fuel pump, but I found it cheaper for 214 and the shop installs customer bought parts (thank god) so the total without taxes for the fuel pump is 382. That sound pretty decent for a fuel pump install?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search