rear end noise - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
rear end noise
Sunday, October 29, 2006 3:53 PM
HI,
I have a 98 Sunfire and I have a noise coming from the rear of the car as you drive it is very noticeable at low speeds and doesn't appear to be bump related, I also don;t believe it is brake related as it makes now difference when applying the brakes. It sounds like rocks going around in a wheel but that is not it. Could it be wheel bearings? or how about stut's but I did jack up the car and there is no play in the wheel and no noise when spinning the wheel?
also no noise when bouncing the car at the rear?
any ideas?
thanks

Re: rear end noise
Sunday, October 29, 2006 4:42 PM
First best thing to do is, jack the rear of youre car up, Pop off the tires & rear brake drums then, inspect youre brake shoes for cracks or chips, as well as the drums as well, If things turn out to be good there, I would point at youre rear wheel bearings to be wornout.

Good Luck

Keep us updated.
Sunday, October 29, 2006 4:56 PM
Thanks for the advice, I did though do as you say and all was well. The brakes where at least 50% or better. I am thinking it has to be wheel bears although when I spun the hub with the tires off it felt and sounded just normal I am guess there has to be a load on the bearing though?
Thanks
Again
Sunday, October 29, 2006 11:01 PM
Yea when their is a load on the bearings, Its easy sign of wornout bearings, My Cavalier has a small grind in my front bearings, Ive gotta get mine done as well.
Monday, October 30, 2006 7:54 AM
how much do wheel bearings cost? is it an easy fix? i hear the same noises...it sounds like rattling. plus there's a crackling noise up front by the windshield, although that could just be front bearings.
Tuesday, October 31, 2006 9:57 PM
Well broke down and took the car to a shop, turned out it was the rear struts and mounting plates. They replaced both sides mounting plates and struts now she is nice a quite.
Thanks all
Wednesday, November 01, 2006 12:57 PM
Thats good you got things back together Joel Pollard, Nice to hear it was only strut mounts,
Wednesday, November 01, 2006 9:38 PM
rich weeks wrote:Thats good you got things back together Joel Pollard, Nice to hear it was only strut mounts,

Thanks!
I am liking a quieter ride again
Thursday, November 02, 2006 2:04 PM
how much does it cost to replace all strut mounts? I did a search on it but a lot of it was similar...just replace them because they're worn out.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search