2200 rear crank seal leak - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2200 rear crank seal leak
Friday, October 27, 2006 11:33 AM
I have a 2200 that has a crank seal leaking or atleast it's all wet in that area with oil? is this a common problem? I was wondering if I was suffering from crank walk and this is a cause of it. My cav has a idle issue on decel. friend of mines zx2 has crankwalk and was having the same issues except his would actually stall.

2009 Ford Mustang V6

Re: 2200 rear crank seal leak
Sunday, October 29, 2006 3:52 AM
The rear seal leaking isn't a 'common' problem, but is possible in high mileage engines; more so with manual trannys. Repair is somewhat involved. I had mine done a while ago by the dealer garage (GM limited lifetime warranty!) and has been dry ever since.
Tuesday, October 31, 2006 9:11 AM
mine has 79,XXX and is a auto. this makes absolutely no sense.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Tuesday, October 31, 2006 4:28 PM
i think i have the same problem but mines a z24 5speed and its always wet when i take a look at it. how do you fix that!?! and how much would it cost to repair !??!

98'zeta veinte-quatro
(z24)......
Wednesday, November 01, 2006 9:29 AM
It's costly, and quite involved. You haveta drop the tranny, oil pan, and expose therear crank seal. It's one of those jobs that needs experience, 'cause it's easy to do wrong -- leading you to do it all over again. One of those rare times to take it to the dealership (GM's limited lifetime warranty on repairs!). Expect at least a day in the shop, maybe two. I'd suggest you also have them look at your clutch (if you have a manual) to repair it if it's significantly worn. Shouldn't cut into the labor cost, as it's near simply a part replacement during reassembly.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search