99 cavalier hard starting issue - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
99 cavalier hard starting issue
Thursday, October 26, 2006 8:26 AM
My friend's 99 cavalier is hard to start sometimes,and sometimes it starts just fine. the car has 120,000 miles. I am not familar with these cars,is there a common cause that would be the reason for the hard starting issue? The spark plugs and fuel filter have been changed within the last 5,000 miles. what else could be the problem? Is there a way to determine if the problem is fuel or spark related? thanks for any and all help,I really need to get the car starting good before it gets colder out

Re: 99 cavalier hard starting issue
Thursday, October 26, 2006 8:54 AM
forgot to mention the car has the 2.2 engine and auto tranny
Thursday, October 26, 2006 11:23 AM
Could be coil packs and/or wires.

Really, though, could be so many different things....

If it was the age-old Spark or Fuel question, most likely you'd have at least some codes to go with it.

Honestly, if it is intermittent as you describe, I'd try replacing the Crankshaft Position Sensor.
Off the top of my head, that's the first thing that comes to mind that could cause an intermittent starting issue, where it starts fine other times.
If it is faulty, or beginning to go that way, it may not always throw a code, and could cause what you've described.

Good luck.

-Ferrite
Thursday, October 26, 2006 5:59 PM
There is an ignition system recall detailed in this link:-

http://www.automobilemag.com/am/1999/chevrolet/cavalier/recalls.html

Alont
Friday, October 27, 2006 9:09 AM
thanks for the ideas. the recall has been done. If the check engine light is not on,there wouldn't be any troubel codes in the computer would there?
Friday, October 27, 2006 6:53 PM
How about checking the fuel pump relay.

If it is intermittant, when it does not work, the car will have to crank until it builds up oil pressure before the fuel pump is energised.

You can swap it with the A/c relay, just to try

Alont
Saturday, October 28, 2006 6:21 AM
thanks,Alont. i will have a couple minutes to look at it today, I will try switching the relays,see if that helps. it would have to be something mechanical if the check engine light isn't on,right?
Saturday, October 28, 2006 6:50 AM
how hard is it to check the feul pressure on this car? I have a fuel pressure gauge. does this car have a schreader(sp?) valve on the fuel rail,or is it more complicated than that?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search