cant find out whats wrong - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
cant find out whats wrong
Wednesday, October 11, 2006 4:23 PM
my friends got a 1998 cavalier RS 4 speed auto with 100K on it. she just bought the car and the dealer gave her no warrenty bc the cars older then a 2000. so when she is at a stop light the car will shut off. it dont make a funny sound or anything. it just shuts off. we cannot find out whats makeing the car do this. we changed the fuel filter the crank sencer and its still does it. we tryed puting dry gas in the car stil stalls. we brought it back and they kept it for a week and drove it and said it never stalled. she gets it back and we are driveing and at the red light she went to go and nothing. the car runs fine starts right up. after it stalls it will have a hard time starting sometimes but it will start. it dont stall all the time but when it does she gets pissed. she loves the car but shes at the point now that she is scared to drive it because she dont know if it will stall and not start back up. so can someone help use with this car the dealer has been zero help in the 4 times its been there.

Re: cant find out whats wrong
Wednesday, October 11, 2006 8:14 PM
Did you check the fuel pump?
Wednesday, October 11, 2006 11:36 PM
only on stops? sure the torque convertor is working correctly?

Thursday, October 12, 2006 12:23 AM
Any check engine light on?. I would try getting the fuel pump pressure tested, IAC could be carboned up, Could need a tune up, Also have a vaccum leak or a hose missing.
Thursday, October 12, 2006 6:34 AM
there is no cel on the car. the dealer ran the computer and it came up nothing. yea only on stops is when it will stall out. my dad thinks its a vaccum leak also. so check out the fuel pump and where is the torque convertor ? and the IAC? and if it is any of this stuff like the torque convertor or fuel pump could i get the part of any cavalier or sunfire in a junkyard that has the 2200 motor?
Thursday, October 12, 2006 10:00 AM
I have a 5 speed, but I've read this problem in other threads.

Do a search on torque converter lockup solenoid. From what I've read here, they go bad and cause the problem you're describing.

Post back here if that's your problem.

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Thursday, October 12, 2006 4:17 PM
where is the torque converter on the car?
Saturday, October 14, 2006 9:59 PM
jbody03eco wrote:where is the torque converter on the car?

Its a little round ball bolted to the flywheel of the engine thats inside of the transmission if thats what your talking about but i had a 91 lumina that use to do that when stopping at any intersection, it would stall, turned out to be that solenoid that "john wilken" mentioned.
Sunday, October 15, 2006 3:52 AM
If the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) is misbehaving this is a link

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=30&i=29318&t=29189#29318

I think a 4 speed is more complex but I stand by to be corrected

I would only be convinced it is, if the car comes to a stop and it feels as though it were a manual transmission car and the clutch pedal was not depressed as you stopped. When mine (A '93 2.2 auto) did this, it was after a one hour freeway drive and then attempting to stop at a Stop sign.Needed some hard braking to stop it. A new solenoid fixed it.

I would think if the car comes to a stop gently and then stalls it is something else

Alont
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search