checking trans fluid - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
checking trans fluid
Tuesday, October 10, 2006 1:05 PM
how do you guys check your tranny fluind on a 2.4? my tranny kinda seems stiff and i wanna see what the color looks like. thanks.

Re: checking trans fluid
Wednesday, October 11, 2006 1:02 AM
I believe the only way transmission can only be checked by the overfill hole on the bottom of the transmission, Otherwise, Is to have the little bleed valve is used to show youre correct level of fluids is full. Cause most cavaliers and sunfires dont have dipsticks to check.
Wednesday, October 11, 2006 1:08 PM
ummm. actually if its an auto theres a dipstick. your suppost to start the car and then run it throught the gears. put it back in park. keep the car running. and then go check it. if its a manual i dont know. ive never seen the engine bay of a manual

Thursday, October 12, 2006 7:20 AM
well i hope my input is helpful to u bet i have a 98 cavalier 2.4 and it has a lil clear thing that looks sorta like a brake fluid contaner that u put brake fluid in and it sits on the air intake box if u have stock intake and it has a black cap but its a hydrolic cluch so u dont use tranny fluid in the transmission u just use hydrlic fluid for your clutch if u need help give me a holla my email is natewalbourn@hotmail.com i have messenger if u want to add me good luck
Thursday, October 12, 2006 3:37 PM
There is NO tranny dipstick on 4t40e transmissions...at least not on mine
Thursday, October 12, 2006 8:05 PM
there is a "dipstick" on the 98 z24. its in the fill hole on the backside (between trans and firewall) there is a TINY 'dipstick' on there. there really is no EASY way to get to it (unless you have a lift). it has a tiny lever you pull up on (really easy), it loosens bam. there you go.

i just checked/added fluid, when i put a new cv axle in

www.michaelsportfolio.com
Friday, October 13, 2006 6:45 AM
well i looked and i dont see one and a few of buddies said there shouldnt be one so i dont know
Sunday, October 15, 2006 6:21 PM
On the manual tranny in the 90 cavs, there is a hex bolt on the top of the tranny. that is where you add your fluid and if you can stick a finger in there and feel/touch fluid, then your okay!
Sunday, October 15, 2006 10:38 PM
Nathan Walbourn wrote:well i hope my input is helpful to u bet i have a 98 cavalier 2.4 and it has a lil clear thing that looks sorta like a brake fluid contaner that u put brake fluid in and it sits on the air intake box if u have stock intake and it has a black cap but its a hydrolic cluch so u dont use tranny fluid in the transmission u just use hydrlic fluid for your clutch if u need help give me a holla my email is natewalbourn@hotmail.com i have messenger if u want to add me good luck

FYI the brake fluid for the clutch is not the transmission fluid on a manual trans. Two separate things.

Also, the 4T40E has a dipstick in some applications, such as a 99+ Grand Am.

"The Blue Bullet"
Monday, October 16, 2006 5:44 AM
My 99 4t40E has NO dip stick.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, October 16, 2006 6:45 AM
i seriously cant find my dipstick i still dont think i have a dipstick ive looked all over for it and i have a haynes manual and ive looked where it said and there is no dipstick

Monday, October 16, 2006 2:08 PM
-MD- LD9 wrote:My 99 4t40E has NO dip stick.

I agree, my 99 4T40E, dosent have a dip stick either, just a red cap.

My trans felt the same way last summer. more slugish than anything. i changed the trans fluid and filter, and its much better feeling.

How many miles do you have? With your 96, it woulden't hurt to get it changed anyways.

I think the new fluid and filter was about $75ish.

hope that helps.

Portage, MI
Monday, October 16, 2006 3:26 PM
same here i have a 97 cav z24 and the only way and the way the repair manual says to check is underneath towards the inner part of the tranny kinda near the oil pan but more drivers side there's a small plug and when raised level, the fluid level lies just to the bottom of the hole. sure would be nice if we got dipsticks huh?
Tuesday, October 17, 2006 8:56 PM
Since the original poster has an automatic.... http://www.j-body.org/faq//123/ It's been in the FAQ for a long time guys

On a 5 speed... if you have an Isuzu... 95-99.. then you have a tiny little dipstick on the back of the trans case. It's hard to spot at first.... if you have a Getrag... 00-05... there's no dipstick. There's a check hole on the back of the case, you take it out... if fluid comes out, there's too much in it. If nothing comes out, add some at the top until it does come out.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 6:42 AM
Logan wrote:Also, the 4T40E has a dipstick in some applications, such as a 99+ Grand Am.
GAMs have the 4T45E. Malibus have the 4T40E, and they also have no dipstick.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search