Valve tick...several questions - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Valve tick...several questions
Monday, August 14, 2006 6:57 AM
This past Saturday I replaced two lifters in cylinder 4 (intake side). It was a bigger pain in the ass than I had hoped, so I have a few question, since the new lifters didn't seem to correct the tick. (2002 2.4)

First, the tick now sounds like it is coming from cyl 3 (it may have been coming from both cylinders originally, and I didn't catch it). I don't mind replacing all the valves and lifters, but I'd rather not spend money on parts I don't have to. Is there any way to tell, when the car is running, whether or not it's a sticking valve, or a lifter that's gone bad (my ears may not be properly attuned to all the different noises an engine can make)? Is there any way to visually inspect the valves/lifters and see?

Also, is there any way to remove the valve cover to get to the lifters without removing the intake side gear inside the timing chain housing? I know this may sound like a noob question, but it's really the first time I've messed with this (I had very limited help), but the biggest pita about the job was getting all the gears and chain and everything lined back up correctly. I'm going to assume that there isn't, but I'm just curious to hear from the guys who may have done this a lot more times than I have.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Valve tick...several questions
Monday, August 14, 2006 7:49 AM
Also, would this help in making sure all the timing issues are correct before reinstalling everything?

Monday, August 14, 2006 8:58 AM
Check your plugs, mine ticked really bad once when they were loose. As for that tool, just use two bolts that fit the holes (the two from the fuel rail to the intake cam carrier work)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, August 14, 2006 9:00 AM

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 4:07 AM
I'm pretty sure the noise has something to do with the valves, but I'll check the plugs as well, it couldn't hurt.

And I'll definitely try those two bolts rather than spending more money on a tool I evidently don't need.

Anyone else have any input?

Friday, August 18, 2006 7:56 PM
Does anyone have any other insight before I take everything apart tomorrow?

Friday, August 18, 2006 8:07 PM
Well, mine sounded exactly like a cracked spring, or a collapsed lifter.....turned out to be the #3 rod bearing. Hope your luck is better than mine. BTW, mine is also a 2002 2.4.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search