Throttle pedal question? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Throttle pedal question?
Saturday, August 12, 2006 5:43 PM
In my girls car "hints the name Missbehaven" her gas pedal is hard to press and when you release the pedal the slows down faster than what I think a automatic should. Is the pedal suppose to be somewhat hard? Is there a way to adjust the hardness of the pedal?

Re: Throttle pedal question?
Saturday, August 12, 2006 7:05 PM
I'm assuming it's a 3 speed because many 3 speed autos (not just on j-bodies) will have a lot more noticable engine braking than a 4 speed with overdrive for instance.

I'm new to J-bodies in particular, but I assume they'd have a throttle cable like any other car. Check the cable and pedal for binding, lubricate where you can. Sometimes you can spray WD-40 or other penetrating oil in the housing/sheathing of a throttle cable, brake cable, etc. and it will free up over time and with use.
Saturday, August 12, 2006 10:21 PM
I'm not sure on this but theres a retracking spring on your pedal i think there a place where you can buy a lighter one that makes the petal softer to push

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/4235/jim25ek.jpg
Monday, August 14, 2006 7:56 PM
Well I did some searching and I did find out that some models did come with a 3 speed automatic. Now the question is does anybody know of a place to that has the vin code decoded to tell me if it had the 3 or 4 automatic.
Monday, August 14, 2006 10:11 PM
easy does ur car have 1, 2 or 1, 2, 3 on the shifter indercator? 1, 2 its a 3 speed, 1, 2, 3 its 4 speed

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 7:20 AM
The indicator will tell if it's an overdrive or std 3 speed auto. The throttle pedal stiffness i'd lube both the throttle body end and the interior pedal cable end where it goes into the firewall and the swivel the pedal attaches to. Also there's return springs on the throttle body, look at those and consider a lighter spring. Test it after changing the springs to make sure it dosen't stick open on her 'cause it 's lighter. I changed the springs on my daugher in law's car, and it's much nicer for her now.
Don
Tuesday, August 15, 2006 2:25 PM
i got a 98 2.2 3 spd and it has the same problem, the gas pedal feels like some clutch pedals its so hard to push. i've tried lbing everywhere on it and still crap. so i'm livin with it let me know when you fix it thnx
Tuesday, August 15, 2006 8:47 PM
Don, where did you get your spring from? I will look into the spring thing.
Wednesday, August 16, 2006 4:38 AM
I got mine at a couple of different places. Napa has some in the box behind the counter, i think Autozone & Advance Auto parts has some on one of the aftermarket panels too. Don't rule out places like Home Depot, i've used a screen door spring on a Chevelle from there. (Don't laugh it worked just fine for many many years) :o) I've also looked through the salvage yards, they are just about give away's there. Hope that helps.
Don
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search