Fuel leak problem - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Fuel leak problem
Wednesday, August 09, 2006 6:09 AM
Well with gas at $3.06 and not showing signs of coming down, of course what better time for me to have a fuel leak than now. I've bean smelling gas on and off for a while now. I looked under the car last spring and it looked as though i had a slight leak in a line. But then it stopped (and I know the car doesn't fix itself). In the past couple of weeks i've bean smelling gas real strong again but no leaks. This morning I started it and smelled it real strong (after I filled the tank all the way up). I saw gas just doing a steady drip from arround the tank region. It only does it when its running though (presure is build). So i put 2 and 2 togeather and realized that in the past week the car has take'n a few more cranks before it will fire up.

Does this sound like a fuel pump or sending unit? I've did my searching but feel left out as I don't know the workings of the fuel system all to well. I know it's not my fuel filter cuase i changed that a couple years ago and it's not leeking from there.

Any advice on where to look in order to assume it's the fuel pump or any other part? My car still starts and runs fine so that makes me wonder if it is leaking from somewhere else.

On top of that, every auto joint wants a fortune for the fuel pump assembly and i've bean reading about these walbro pumps (which if i need a pump i'll be sure to go this route).

Any help would be greatly apreciated. Now i'm going back out to crawl arround under the car and miss a day of work when i really need it to pay more nickle and dime stuff off.

Re: Fuel leak problem
Wednesday, August 09, 2006 6:28 AM
Oh, I now have a 96 Z24. I keep searching and getting more confused. I don't plan on boostin my 2.4 just saving money, but this walbro thing or the blazer pump sound a little advanced for me to do. Like i said the only fuel job i've odne was the filter. I'm confused cause i'm still getting presure and my fuel pump is sitll ingaging or purgering before start up. I'm not sure where else to look?
Wednesday, August 09, 2006 1:46 PM
the fuel pump and sending unit are in the tank, so id say your ok there. try around the base of the filler neck, where it meets the tank. you said you had a full tank and the leak was worse, could be the lines connecting to the pump/sending unit assy.

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/my2005cav/my%20car%20the%20bash.jpg
Wednesday, August 09, 2006 8:04 PM
Well I figured it out. It's leaking from where the nylon hose connects to the return fuel (that comes from the front of the car). I assume the metal quick clip that's the same as the pain in the a$s clip that is in the stock hose to the fuel filter is defective. I called the dealer and it sounds like i have to spend $90 on new fuel lines that run the length of my car just to get another clip.

I tried gas tank seelent apoxy to seel arround the fitting to maybe fix it for now (as it isn't a high presure line) until i could come up with a better answer. Anyone ran into this hose leeking. I guess i need a special tool to disconect to make it much easier than the battle i first had with my fuel filter. Also does anyone know if I could just get the clip?
Thursday, August 10, 2006 4:37 AM
Does anyone know if there is an O-ring in there?
Thursday, August 10, 2006 10:37 AM
Well I might be get'n the part out of a junk yard tonight. If that doesn't work, I think I'm gonna rig up a rubber fuel hose to connect both sides, and clamp it down on both ends.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search