Strut replacement - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Strut replacement
Saturday, May 06, 2006 3:16 PM
Is there a recommended mileage for this? Is there a test (like the old shock bounce test) to know if they're bad?

I have noticed the bumps are more noticeable than they used to be. No oil leaks on my OEM units though.

I was looking at the manual on how to replace them in case I need to. How important is the special alignment tool when putting the new strut on?
Any other tips?

Re: Strut replacement
Saturday, May 06, 2006 3:21 PM
http://www.breadiscool.com

I replaced the rear shocks and mounts on my g/f's 97 Sunfire SE coupe using info from there. Good stuff.

I stood the shocks straight up, with the rod end down, and the rod retracted into the shock body just from the weight of the shock. Worn out. I think they had a bit over 100K on them though.
Saturday, May 06, 2006 3:22 PM
hmmm... preview does not work right...

http://www.bradiscool.com
Saturday, May 06, 2006 6:44 PM
Thanks for the link. Hey, bread is cool too. I just never seem to have enough which is why I'm always trying to fix my car myself.

If yours were bad at 100K, imagine what mine must be like at 195K. Aye-carumba, they'll probably fall off the car once I start wrenchin' on 'em.
Saturday, May 06, 2006 9:51 PM
The mounts were shots way before the 100K. The "loose lumber" sound was there for at least three years before I replaced them.
Saturday, May 06, 2006 11:57 PM
Its pretty straight forward replacing the struts on a cavalier, Just got to have the right tools to do the job. And a good refernce manual like haynes is good start.
Thursday, August 24, 2006 10:50 AM
What is the "loose lumber" sound you are referring to? In my front end I hear sounds like something is loose and jiggling around. It probably is the struts, but I want to make sure it's not something else. thanks.

mtbon
Friday, August 25, 2006 3:30 AM
Okay unless you got some musles your going to need air tools. The bolts for the bottom of the strut are commonly torqued to 85+ft/lbs, plus years of water, salt and @!#$ it is really bad.

You do need an alignment after doing this, you most likely need one anyways if you havent had one done ever.

This loose sound your hearing could be anything. Does it happen all the time, low speeds, high speeds, around turns, around right turns, around left turns, over bumps, up hills, down hills, move info is needed, any odd noises you hear.

Could be the strut mouns, struts dont make noise when they fail, they leak, strut mounts do make some noise though, especailly if you hit a bump, they clattering noise.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Friday, August 25, 2006 3:32 AM
Also you didnt say where you live in your profile. If you live in western Michigan, let me know I currently have 23 days of not much to do.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search