engine compatibility (swap info) - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
engine compatibility (swap info)
Wednesday, November 26, 2008 12:24 PM
Hello all,

I have a fairly straight forward question for you all. I have a 1996 sunfire with the 2.2l engine in it. I have a friend with a newer malibu witht a 2.4 engine in it, you know the one that came in the cav z24 and the sunfire gt. The engine in that car is no good, his mother ran it out of oil, and i assume it spun a bearing at the very least, or maybe even seized. other than that the car is in amazing condition.

Now the sunfire is in ok shape, but still is a s;light eyesore.

Can the 2.2 from the sunfire be swapped into the malibu with little effort, ie is it a direct swap? i assume it would be seeing as sunfires came with 2.4's in them from factory, but want to make sure before i invest into buying that car,

im not worried about power as i know there won t be much to spare with the puny 2.2 115hp in the bigger malibu, but it would be for my gf anyways, and just a commuter for her to go back and forth to work, and normal stuff.

Could anybiody tell me if it is swappable, and if so what all is involved? You know like would there be engine mounts from on to the other to switch, would the transmission bolt up to the 2.2, and any little things you can think of. I assume i would have to do some wiring with the computers to get the 2.2 to run properly, but im not too concerned with that, i just want to make sure i wont have to do and fabbing up engine mounts, or swap the tranny as well.

I am pretty mechanical, as i have swapped engine before. I put a mazda b6 into a festiva, and do all my own auto work minus computerized alignments and stuff i dont have equipment for so as long as its just taking stuff out, and putting stuff in, i should have no problems doing it.

Any info anyone could provide me would be greatly appeciated.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Re: engine compatibility (swap info)
Wednesday, November 26, 2008 6:24 PM
Not happening... seriously. Will not work. Either. Different mounts, trannys, wiring harness, sub frame, computer. All is different.

Would have had a lot better chance if they were both Jbodies but with the Malibu being on a Nbody platform, not happening.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 6:51 PM
CraiGT wrote:Not happening... seriously. Will not work. Either. Different mounts, trannys, wiring harness, sub frame, computer. All is different.

Would have had a lot better chance if they were both Jbodies but with the Malibu being on a Nbody platform, not happening.

exactly don't waste your time

Thursday, November 27, 2008 12:20 AM
What year is the Malibu? If it's 2000+ the Ecotec is a much easier swap as it came in later model N-body cars.

The OHV 2.2L wasn't an option in the Malibu. Swapping one in will be exceptionally difficult.

...j

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search