Those with T3 Super 60's... - Page 2 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Those with T3 Super 60's...
Sunday, January 01, 2006 11:57 PM
yea i figured that o well...... just like they say hp costs how fast do you wanna go..... and if thats what it cost then thats what im going to have to pay.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/827643

Monday, January 02, 2006 12:21 AM
Z Speed Cavi wrote:yea i figured that o well...... just like they say hp costs how fast do you wanna go..... and if thats what it cost then thats what im going to have to pay.

welcome to boost.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Monday, January 02, 2006 1:35 AM
im not boosted yet but i hope to be by spring. I got some work ahead of me to get it by then but when its all done and over with it will be worth it

Monday, January 02, 2006 5:36 AM
ok I looked around and im thinking im going to go with a HRC super 16g turbo....... this way its good for stock components till I rebuild and I can always upgrade it to a 20g if i ever need or want too for more out of it. what do you think would be better internal or external wastegate?

Monday, January 02, 2006 5:45 AM
internally gated would be fine for your goals.
Monday, January 02, 2006 8:02 AM
Z Speed Cavi wrote:didnt some of the old turbo fords like the mustang and thunderbirds with the turbo 4 bangers come with either a t3 super 60 or a IHI turbo? If so I'll be off to the junk yard to get one and rebuild that.
I pulled one of the 60 trim T3s off an SVO mustang in the junkyard, worked excellently (standard flange).

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Monday, January 02, 2006 8:52 AM
OHV notec wrote:
Z Speed Cavi wrote:didnt some of the old turbo fords like the mustang and thunderbirds with the turbo 4 bangers come with either a t3 super 60 or a IHI turbo? If so I'll be off to the junk yard to get one and rebuild that.
I pulled one of the 60 trim T3s off an SVO mustang in the junkyard, worked excellently (standard flange).

i thought there were t3 super 60s on them lol I guess I may have to give that guy a call back then and see what he sez

Monday, January 02, 2006 10:41 AM
Hey Z Speed Cavi you can get a rebuilt t3 super 60 from WestCoast-Turbo.com for $389 with various options. Thats where I am planning to get mine. I already e-mailed the company to make sure they were still in business and all and they responded right away. Just another cheaper option for you.

~Boost. Its what's for dinner!~

Monday, January 02, 2006 11:36 AM
Skilz10179 wrote:Someone on this site with a stock 2.4 with a 50 trim T3 with a .48 a/r turbine ran a 12.9 or street tires. It was done in Michigan, no clue what the elevation is. A Super 60 with a .63 a/r turbine is good for another 50whp over that 50 trim........

Yep, that was me. The Super 60 is a great turbo for a street car.

3400? I don't think so. How about 2500 - 2600 I had 10psi...

Quick spool, and it pulls pretty hard.

This was on a totally stock motor except HO manifold.

Later,
Jeff

--------------------------------
2000 Turbocharged Silver Z24 5spd
Cardomain Site
Monday, January 02, 2006 3:10 PM
if you map the turbo for our engines you,ll find that a 57 trim t3 t4 is better, it runs at a higher effiency throught the power band than the super 60, meaning you'll make slightly more power than the super 60. Its possible to over speed the super 60 with our engines
Monday, January 02, 2006 3:45 PM
^^ he is correct. I have burnt up two of them allready. Great turbo for street use and low boost . But anything above 8 or 9 psi , I would upgrade to a t04e 57 trim as stated above.

01 Z24 Turbo /// First Reflashed Turbo AUTO MMMM YUMMY

Monday, January 02, 2006 4:06 PM
dragracemyz24 wrote:^^ he is correct. I have burnt up two of them allready. Great turbo for street use and low boost . But anything above 8 or 9 psi , I would upgrade to a t04e 57 trim as stated above.

^^can anyone else varify this?

I've got a super 60 I was planning on running more then 9psi with. How do you explain people running super 16G's which are even smaller then t3's? Do they have a higher trim level?

I'm just wondering how you can overspeed a turbo providing it still has pressure to build up in the chargepipe. (and providing you have adequate oil supply)

thanks

Monday, January 02, 2006 9:24 PM
hmmm.....does anybody have any times for the to4e 57 trim on say like 10lbs of boost? I am just curious before I order another turbo. Also what sort of hp are we talking here with that particular turbo?

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 12:35 AM
what about getting a t3 super 60 with a 0.60 compressor and 0.63 turbine housing. wouldnt that make it last a lil bit better with high boost? versus the standard 0.42 compressor and 0.48 turbine housing.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 9:20 AM
Anybody?....I am curious before I order my new one. Thanks!

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 10:35 AM
Quote:

didnt some of the old turbo fords like the mustang and thunderbirds with the turbo 4 bangers come with either a t3 super 60 or a IHI turbo? If so I'll be off to the junk yard to get one and rebuild that.

The Merkur XRTI, 2.3 turbo Mustang and early T-Bird Supercoupe came with T3 super 60's. I have 2 in my barn waiting for transplanting. I dunno about a "wierd" flange as they fit the T3 manifold flange I bought. Later T-bird coupes had an IHI turbo which was smaller, and (I believe) used a different flange.

There are also some early Mopar 2.5L engines which run T3's. You'd need to look around but I believe there were some Daytona's with super 60 trim. I have 2 old Mopar T3's in storage but I'd have to look at them to see what level trim they have. There was also a Daytona with a VATN turbo (have yet to find one in a junkyard).

-->Slow
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 3:22 PM
Quote:

what about getting a t3 super 60 with a 0.60 compressor and 0.63 turbine housing
that would work better yes. But still not flow as much as a T3 /T04E 57 Trim. For the fact the compressor on the 04E is still alot better for flowing some cfms.

Quote:

I've got a super 60 I was planning on running more then 9psi with. How do you explain people running super 16G's which are even smaller then t3's? Do they have a higher trim level?
super 16 G's are not smaller than t3s and yes you can run more than 9 psi on a super 60 but all you are doing is pushing the turbo past its efficiency point especially on a 2.4 motor. I did not in any way say that you cant run it past 9psi. I do but I can tell that the turbo is not producing the power correctly. It is overbearing in the top end and you can totally feel it fall on its face. You will see what I am saying . I love the super 60 and would deffinetely reccomend it as a perfect starter application turbo for J body owners. i have used it for almost 3 years now. BUT. I am now upgrading alot of stuff and know that with a built motor < I will need a bigger turbo that can handle power better above 9/10 psi. I hope I clerified that it was in my best interest to upgrade but by no means is it necessary for you guys to ditch the super 60. It will get you nice power and spool up so nice, You will love it. But if you plan on going big time. then you will need to upgrade. . Pretend the jbody came with a super 60 as its stock turbo. If you plan on making big power like any other turbo car eventually the turbo you have will not support what you are trying to do. lol good luck guys.

01 Z24 Turbo /// First Reflashed Turbo AUTO MMMM YUMMY
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 5:12 PM
So what are some good specs to get for the Garrett T3/TO4E? Because I also noticed on a lot of the videos of the Cavaliers with super 60's they did seem to slow down a bit after about 3rd gear. But I plan to keep my stock motor and just running the reflash so do you think that on the 10 psi with the super 60 would be better to try and get into the low 13's or would you recommend the TO4E? Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 5:26 PM
Choose for yourself (5, 10, 15, 20 psi):

I feel I was probably even a little generous with the VE estimates.
Also, remember, you want the compressor at high efficiency in the usable powerband the most (you're probably not building a pure drag car here, daily drivers need usable power).

fortune cookie say:
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 10:53 PM
Timothy Pietraallo wrote:So what are some good specs to get for the Garrett T3/TO4E? Because I also noticed on a lot of the videos of the Cavaliers with super 60's they did seem to slow down a bit after about 3rd gear. But I plan to keep my stock motor and just running the reflash so do you think that on the 10 psi with the super 60 would be better to try and get into the low 13's or would you recommend the TO4E? Thanks in advance!
im going down the same road as him.... I will rebuild after i get a decent job. but for now I cant afford a rebuild till next winter season

boost will be soon for me....
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 11:12 PM
Exactly. I drive my car daily usually only to and from school. But I want it still reliable and still decently fast for the drag strip because thats what I love doing Friday nights when its open.

Monday, January 09, 2006 7:21 PM
I don't understand the graphs...
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 8:34 AM
aemECOTEC wrote:I don't understand the graphs...
red dots = 5psi, blue = 10psi, green = 15psi, orange = 20 psi
the dots at each boost level are in increments of 1000rpm starting at 3000 from left to right.

fortune cookie say:
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 1:38 PM
OHV notec wrote:Choose for yourself (5, 10, 15, 20 psi):

I feel I was probably even a little generous with the VE estimates.
Also, remember, you want the compressor at high efficiency in the usable powerband the most (you're probably not building a pure drag car here, daily drivers need usable power).

Good post, this should set some people straight....

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 9:51 PM
Quote:

Good post, this should set some people straight....

Its a shame most of the people in here won't understand what they're looking at. A lot of turbo selection and 'myth' is based on hear-say instead of facts like these graphs...

which is why I'm going to take it upon myself to explain to people a little bit... I hope notec doesn't mind.

Quote:

dragracemyz24
Monday, January 02, 2006 6:45 PM

^^ he is correct. I have burnt up two of them allready. Great turbo for street use and low boost . But anything above 8 or 9 psi , I would upgrade to a t04e 57 trim as stated above.

I dunno how you burnt up 2 turbos... but I'd put my money on bad luck, bad oil supply, or crappy turbo(s), or a crappy rebuild(er).

a t3 super 60 will have the best spool characteristics of any of the above, and make more power HAPPILY up to about 16psi or so if not more. 20 is right around where you hover above peak efficiency and are just heating up air before it gets into your engine. I'll elaborate on the images posted by notec to illustrate my point. Thanks to notec for doing the work for me =)

as notec stated, the dots are as follows:

Red dots = 5psi
Blue = 10psi
Green = 15psi
Orange = 20 psi

the dots at each boost level are in increments of 1000rpm starting at 3000 from left to right.

A compressor map reads like a topographical map, but instead of elevation, it shows efficiency. The middle most island is where the turbo makes peak efficiency, surrounding islands are progressively less efficient. The dashed line all the way to the left is the surge line... if you're over that line at 3000rpm or so.. you shouldn't be using that turbo period. If the dots fall off to the right the turbo is too small. If your dots don't go thru the peak efficiency island, the turbo isn't proprely matched for your boost level.

This image shows a t04e-57 trim turbo on a 2.4.

looking at this map, you can clearly see that this turbo is WAY TOO BIG. The dots at 5psi are barely on the graph at all which means you'd probably see little to no power increase since you won't be spinning the turbo fast enough to generate boost

at 10 psi you're dangerously close to the surge line at 3000rpm, and you're still barely on the graph since this turbo is designed for higher rpm or larger engines.

at 15psi you're over the surge line substantially

at 20psi you're even further into the surge area, a very bad thing. and at this point, the turbo is beyond its peak efficiency.

This turbo would be better suited on a larger engine or one that spun higher RPMs (requiring more cMF (the numbers across the bottom... corrected mass flow... aka how much air ur engine can flow in lbs/ min))

In this picture, we have a t04e-50 trim

Again the same as above takes place... You can clearly see from the oritentation of the dots that this turbo is better suited from a larger displacement, or a higher revving engine. The 2.4 cannot flow enough air in order to use this turbo effieciently. Using this turbo on a cav that doesn't spin higher rpm is stupid and basically a "my cock is bigger than yours" move. You will sacrafice spool, and will not make as much power as a smaller turbo at the same boost level. Case in point:

t3 super 60

as you can see, all the dots are on the graph in relatively good positions. This is what we want to see

as you increase boost, the dots move, but within the area that was mapped on the turbo.

5 psi is a little low for this turbo, but will be ok

10 psi you'll be making about 230whp if not slightly more or less depending on individual set ups.

15psi you'll be making quite a bite more power i'm not sure exactly, probably in the neighborhood of 270 to 280 or so but as you can see the turbo is still happy with a little bit more head room

at 20 you're over the surge line which again, you want to avoid like the plauge. 20psi is too high for this turbo.

keep in mind, this turbo will be FULLY SPOOLED by 3000rpm at the latest.. give or take 200rpm remember more boost takes longer since the turbo has to spin faster in order to generate that boost.

I can't even remember how many discussion/ arguments/ questions have been brought up about the t3 super 60 being a good match or not but frankly, on a street driven, mildly modified or otherwise stock engine the t3 super 60 is THE BEST CHOICE FOR 8-16psi (garrett turbos anyway)

if you want to boost higher, there's other turbos that would be better suited but a good rule of thumb is 10psi is kind of pushing engine internals and drivetrain limits. So keep this in mind when choosing what you want to do.

my buddy's turbo ecotec with a t3 super 60 runs 13.5 @ 105mph on 9psi of boost. which has plenty of room for improvement.. but launching is a bit difficult. The car makes 225whp and 250wtq

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search