gm s/c - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
gm s/c
Saturday, November 19, 2005 9:21 PM
before i get yelled at....let me just say that i DID search for this...but i could not come up with anything. hell, call me stupid just dont tell me to search.

anyway. i own a 96 sunfire gt and i really want to get a gm s/c but i know that there is some modification required to get the 2000+ s/c to work - alas i cannot find out what i need to do. can anyone provide me with a link or tell me what has to be done because i have the funds and means necessary.

i mean, come on guys, i have to make up for the automatic trans somehow

thanks for any and all of your help.

Re: gm s/c
Saturday, November 19, 2005 10:09 PM
chris m wrote:before i get yelled at....let me just say that i DID search for this...but i could not come up with anything. hell, call me stupid just dont tell me to search.

anyway. i own a 96 sunfire gt and i really want to get a gm s/c but i know that there is some modification required to get the 2000+ s/c to work - alas i cannot find out what i need to do. can anyone provide me with a link or tell me what has to be done because i have the funds and means necessary.

i mean, come on guys, i have to make up for the automatic trans somehow

thanks for any and all of your help.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

There shouldn't be any mechanical differences. The only reason they say for 2000+ is because of the computer reflash.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Saturday, November 19, 2005 10:11 PM
so....i just have to reflash it?

things like that aren't an issue. i work at a chevy dealership.

Saturday, November 19, 2005 10:16 PM
chris m wrote:so....i just have to reflash it?

things like that aren't an issue. i work at a chevy dealership.

They don't have an reflash available for the 1999 and below.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Saturday, November 19, 2005 10:43 PM
you need the Later PCM, I dont believe there are any diff's but dont quote me

2002 Z28: Slp coldair Pac, Corsa Catback, 3200 stall

Sunday, November 20, 2005 12:06 AM
egr delete
fmu
00+ starter
wideband o2

Sunday, November 20, 2005 12:15 AM
the only difference which is a big one is that the pre 2000 2.4's use a different pcm and will not all for a reflash. So... you have a couple options, both have advantages and disadvantages so its ultimately going to be up to you.
OPTION 1 - Get yourself a 2000+ pcm, harness, and gauge cluster and do the install into you car, i personally dint go this route so im not exactly sure what issues or problems you may run into, but if you choose this route then you can get your pcm reflashed from GM and simply run that for your tuning.
OPTION 2 - This is the option that i used for a few reasons but basically because it gave me more options for tuning and i planned on running alot more mods than the stock s/c reflash would account for. So if you choose this route you will need to run an FMU to be able to raise your fuel pressure under boost and another form of tuning, ie: greddy emanage, megasquirt, Apexi SAFC. I personally chose to run an APEXI SAFC2 because im very familiar with them and it worked well for what me. The apexi can add or remove fuel in rpm increments throughout the entire rpm band. However in order to tune this way a wideband is essential to be able to get yourself the best numbers for your air fuel ratio. If you choose to go this way you can ultimately tune your car to run alot better than the gm reflash, but it takes some knowledge and time. However so would doing the full 2000+ pcm, harness and cluster swap.
I hope that helps you out some, i know when i was first looking into this swap in my 99 i had alot of questions and these boards were my savior more than once. The pre 2000 s/c has been done numerous times and numerous different ways like i said its basically up to you which option you wanna go with, both are going to end up costing you about the same in the end. If you have any further questions feel free to ask away i'm always glad to help out a prospective s/c guy

607 Motorsports is your one stop performance and car specialties shop, we can do anything your imagination holds. Check us out at www.cardomain.com/id/jimmyc99z24
Sunday, November 20, 2005 2:16 AM
Cavi sedan ls (justin u) wrote:egr delete
fmu
00+ starter
wideband o2

yup gonna need something for tuning. so thats where the fmu comes in. also going to want a afpr. wideband 02 is self explained. and 00+ starter cause its much smaller then pre 99.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/827643
Sunday, November 20, 2005 4:57 AM
the injector in the SC kit won't work on the 96 Ecm. The 96 Ecm has low impedence injectors. What you can do is buy a set of HO injectors and use that.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Sunday, November 20, 2005 6:30 AM
my supercharger is for sale

-marc

FS: GM's M45 Supercharger kit.. xcavix@hotmail.com
Sunday, November 20, 2005 1:22 PM
illd9, how much?

email me caitsith2001@hotmail.com

thanks

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Sunday, November 20, 2005 3:34 PM
i forgot all about the other pre 99 stuff oops But yeah you will need an egr sim, 99+ mini starter and different injectors, alot of pre 99 guys will run the ford red tops and an afpr to adjust the base fuel pressure, unfortunately on the pre 2000+ the kit isnt just a bolt on

607 Motorsports is your one stop performance and car specialties shop, we can do anything your imagination holds. Check us out at www.cardomain.com/id/jimmyc99z24
Sunday, November 20, 2005 5:04 PM
egr simulator didnt work on my 96. well it did but it ran like crap.

so i just clear the check engine light each time i start it up and am happier then with the egr simulator hooked up. (car actually runs normal).

need anything else answered let me know, i have had this set up on my 96 for 2 years now.

Monday, November 21, 2005 12:17 AM
Monday, November 21, 2005 7:15 AM
... you all could just reflash your PCM's to a 99, to get rid of the EGR.....

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search