KYB AGX - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
KYB AGX
Thursday, May 26, 2005 8:58 PM
So let me get this striaght these are direct replacements no drilling and cutting and @!#$? and how would agx and pro- line, be compared to sportline and koni yellow?

Re: KYB AGX
Thursday, May 26, 2005 9:00 PM
right, the agx are direct bolt ons.........if you have a 00 and up you need a spacer on the nut otherwise its direct bolt on..........as for the proline springs......dunno but if its less than a 1.5 inch drop i bet you'd be ok

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Thursday, May 26, 2005 9:08 PM
Oh ya also are the agx's adjustable?
Thursday, May 26, 2005 9:12 PM
Shafty wrote:So let me get this striaght these are direct replacements no drilling and cutting and @!#$? and how would agx and pro- line, be compared to sportline and koni yellow?

the whole agx line is adjustable.... you;ve seen em right?

also....pro line?

do you mean pro kit?

Thursday, May 26, 2005 9:25 PM
ya pro kit lol . thats what i meant. and thanx. and also i have a 2000 so i would need that spacer, where could i get that. any parts place?
Thursday, May 26, 2005 9:34 PM
what do you need a spacer for?

take apart your old setup, and remove the strut mount, put the springs on the new struts and install strut mount...

install of car get aligned....

easy enough to do

Thursday, May 26, 2005 9:43 PM
mikec2003 said on 00+ u need a spacer. on the nut or somehting. but if i dont need it even better for me. i think thats what i will go with in the end. agx and pro kit. thanx for the info
Friday, May 27, 2005 11:26 AM
You need a spacer on the top of the strut to
help it lock onto your mounts. Use a washer
thats what worked for me otherwise you will
get some play at the top of the strut and that
will lead to problems quickly

Friday, May 27, 2005 2:34 PM
you shouldnt need a spacer....

in installing bubbleguts/donnovan B agx on pro kits, there was no need for a spacer or washer...

all of that should be with the mount...

all we did was remove the entire stock strut/pro kit assembly, remove the struts, replaced em with AGX and used the new nuts that come with the agx.

there was no play...

some of you might be misplacing parts or losin em.

reinstall on the car and torque them do to spec once weight is on the car.

i;ve done 5 sets of agx on 2000+ cars now, and 2 on pre 2000 cars...

Friday, May 27, 2005 9:18 PM
I got the AGX on my 2005 cavy you do need the spacer trust me if youd ont' every time you hit a bump it sounds like your suspension is about to fall out, trust me and everybody...if you have 00+ strut mounts get the spacer or at least some washers to put there to lock to the strut mounts or you'll be screwed up quick.
Friday, May 27, 2005 9:23 PM
Hmm im not sure who to believe lol. Guess ill find out. where exacltly does this spacer go. if in fact i do need it

Friday, May 27, 2005 9:24 PM
you need a spacer

see ya!

Saturday, May 28, 2005 4:34 AM
The AGX's should come with the spacers now... 1 of mine did along with a notice.

Saturday, May 28, 2005 8:02 AM
Shafty wrote:Hmm im not sure who to believe lol. Guess ill find out. where exacltly does this spacer go. if in fact i do need it

On the '00+ mounts, you'll need a spacer that goes between the mount and the nut. When you take apart the OEM struts, you'll see that the spacer is part of the top nut on the stockers. The KYB's don't have this. But, they should come with a spacer (1/2" tall brass fitting) that will go on the strut rod. When you put it back together, you'll put the pieces on like this:

-Lower mount (with rod boot)
-Upper mount
-spacer
-top nut.

Put 'em on the car, and like Event said, torque 'em down with the weight of the car on them.

I may not know much about cars, but I know two things....
1) Breaking things is expensive, and
2) Horsepower isn't cheap.
Saturday, May 28, 2005 10:57 AM
Zman2k2 wrote:
Shafty wrote:Hmm im not sure who to believe lol. Guess ill find out. where exacltly does this spacer go. if in fact i do need it

On the '00+ mounts, you'll need a spacer that goes between the mount and the nut. When you take apart the OEM struts, you'll see that the spacer is part of the top nut on the stockers. The KYB's don't have this. But, they should come with a spacer (1/2" tall brass fitting) that will go on the strut rod. When you put it back together, you'll put the pieces on like this:

-Lower mount (with rod boot)
-Upper mount
-spacer
-top nut.

Put 'em on the car, and like Event said, torque 'em down with the weight of the car on them.

that i can see.... cause i know there were no unnecessary trips to be made during install.... especially since stores were closed most of the times...

you should have everything you need.

Saturday, May 28, 2005 5:27 PM
I'm all now.

Washer, yes or no?
To my understanding, '95-'99 don't need them and '00-'05 do. I have heard here numerous times that AGX owners had to call KYB to get these washers for their '00-'05. Doesn't KYB supply them already?
In the future, I am considering this for my '02 and I don't want surprises.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Sunday, May 29, 2005 12:21 AM
well all i can say is every install i;ve done, the little bag with the nut and hardware that comes with the struts had everything needed to do the install... i simply just follow the directions. none of the cars had that problem and most were on pro kits.

didnt have to get anything extra, etc....

Sunday, May 29, 2005 10:55 AM
kyb does supply the washers.. you just have to call them.. i have an 02 cavalier and the shop that did my suspension said i needed a washers for the front struts because the setup wouldnt fit right.. none came with my struts/shocks in the boxes so i called them up and got them in a few days//
heres the number if u need to call them because u will need those washers:
1-630-620-5555

Monday, May 30, 2005 9:55 PM
kyb gives you a nut that is thicker at the bottom. the spacer is built into the nut. If you reuse the stock nuts you need to use washers.

2004 Cavalier, 2.2L Ecotec
1965 El Camino, 396 BBC, 14:1, 800 BHP
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 10:42 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you cannot use the stock nut with the AGX struts.

The ram threads are of a larger diameter than the stockys. 18mm nut if I recall on the AGX and a 15 on the stock ones... (sizes may not be exact, can't quite remember and it's too dark to check the AGX nut size) The stock ones found their way to the neighbor's scrap metal pile the night following install.

At least that's what the situation was on my 97...

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 11:47 PM
The stock nut is too small for the AGX's

Now, I did NOT need a spacer when I installed the AGX's / Prokit on my 04 fire. I also used the KYB mounts, so I don't know if that mattered or not.

Someone else I know that did AGX's on his 01 Cavy and he had to use 2 washers under the top nut. I don't know what mounts he used, so I'm kinda wondering if the spacer thing depends on what mounts you use.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 12:01 AM
i got a 98 sunfire and i got agx's with bg springs... didnt use a washer... it seems to work fine

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 11:41 AM
just called kyb today, cause i know me and donnovan didnt need anything.

newer struts you should NOT need any spacer. the nut comes ready to attach. the earlier models the nut was slightly different.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 12:40 PM
well on my agx struts the nut must be too small, because it had about an eighth of an inch of play wehn tightened all the way down, so i think thats why the spacer is needed, now wethere they redesigned the nut or not i don't know but i know that on my car it didn't work right

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search