Updated strut bar faq. - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Updated strut bar faq.
Wednesday, June 21, 2006 8:41 PM
Ok folks. I made the original, but it never became a sticky. Pure shame. So here is an updated version with more information on Strut bars. I hope to be as accurate as possible.

What is a Strut tower?

Your strut towers are, for ease of explanation, are the large metal towers on each side of your engine bay, and trunk ( behind the carpeting ), which holds the upper part of your suspension in place. Usually held in by 3 bolts, nuts or some combination of.

What is a Strut Bar?

A strut bar, Or strut brace, is a metal rod that connects the strut towers together. The purpose for this is to limit the flexing of the towers as you drive. Reducing this flex, gives you a better feel, better control of your car while turning and you will feel much less bump from expansion joints on highways. Also a stiff body would enable maximum performance and handling. A stiff chassis also makes suspension tuning much more precise, resulting in a car with razor-sharp handling.

Example of Front and rear Strut bars from Gravana tuning, made by vibrant:

What is a Tri-Strut bar?

A tri strut bar, is a a bar that connects your strut towers and Firewall together. The purpose of this is to reduce the flex much more, by using your firewall as a support point. The stock GM brace for convertibles had an extra mounting point for the firewall. HOWEVER: Most J bodies donut use or have available Tri-bars for a few reasons, Including, that on 2.2L and 2200 engines, the Intake would interfere.

Example of a tri-bar from a TOYOTA:

What is a Fender Bar?

A fender bar is just another version of a strut bar. In this case, a fender bar connects the strut tower to the firewall at the point of where your door hinges are connected. The only company that has Fender bars available for J bodies is HDE, In which they may 3 different versions of it. Mounts onto the door hinge and inner fender, creating a triangular support that greatly increases rigidity over OEM. Guide inserts are included to assist for a simple bolt on installation. It is also referred to as 'Gacchiri Support' in Japan or CAWL Support by SPT. This chassis reinforcement will greatly improves the handling dynamics of your car. Confidence in steering is guaranteed while reducing flexing of the uni-body."

**Heres another thing**
"On many vehicles, especially the older S-chassis 240SX/180SX/Silvia and AE86, the frontal frame experiences a high amount of flexing and twisting due to age and structural design. Frontal chassis flex affects the handling of a vehicle by introducing unintended changes in suspension geometry during cornering, acceleration and braking. Compounding the issue, whenever the suspension is upgraded and reinforced with parts such as higher spring rates, reinforced multi-link suspension, or even pillow-ball mounts, more of the stress that is absorbed by the factory suspension gets transferred directly to the chassis, which increases flexing and chassis wear. High power output engines are also known to cause twisting of the chassis.

Example of a fender bar from a 240sx:

Another version of a fender bar:

Shock tower plates

This is a completely brand new product by Nagisa Auto that helps reduce the load on the shock towers, especially during heavy braking.

Drastic improvements are achieved without needing to modify or weld the frame with obtrusive support bars. Bolts onto factory locations, and can complements a tower brace setup. Some kits come with guide inserts to assist in installation. Some kits may require drilling.

Fender to Radiator Support Bars

Fender to radiator Support bars are just another way to to stiffen the front of the chassis. You connect the fenders to the front radiator cross member. Simple concept.

How hard is it to install a strut bar?

Its very easy to install a front strut bar. While car is on the ground, and OFF, remove the bolts / nuts ( 3 in total per side ). Slide the brace's strut plates on, and reinstall hardware. If it does not side right, and you will know when it doesn't, remove, and flip it over and reinstall. 5 mins to install.

The rear bar however is a bit annoying and takes 20mins to install, maybe longer. The rear bar is in your trunk, and a very tight place to put your hands. And the bolts you need to remove are in the wheel well itself, all the way at the top. Remove those 3 bolts, per side, slide bar into position, and reinstall the bolts. Good job.

In some cases, preloading a strut bar is needed to get proper geometry. The manufacture of the bar will tell you specifically if preloading is needed. This usually involves in jacking up the front of the car and then installing the strut bar, as if your car was on the ground.

Also Not all strut bars are adjustable. Many strut bars are however at the very ends for ease of installation, and to add or remove, or have a neutral preload. And some strut bars have a preload adjuster in the middle. Like the one shown below made by cusco. This bar is specifically designed to adjust tension positively (pushing out) or negatively (pulling in) or neutral... no pull in either direction.

Is there anything else i might need to know?

A few things:

1) You can paint your bar with just about any paint.

2) To clean it off, use mild soap and warm water, and dry to a beautiful shine.

3) You can make your own, however DO NOT use plastic of sheet metal, they are not strong enough for the job.

4) You can use all types of strut bars above, but usually 1 is enough.

5) There really is a difference in how your car handles, But is not a replacement, Just a component to a well tuned suspension, and is one of the cheapest things to do for your suspension.

LINKS

www.granatuning.com
www.ebay.com
www.vibrantperformance.com
www.carcustoms.com

If i forgot some, sorry, those are the only links i personally use.

References

www.mmsacc-stainless.com
www2.propichosting.com
www.sfu.ca/~roland
www.topendmotorsports.com
www.technotoytuning.com
www.nissanperformancemag.com

Special thanks to

C.T.S
Funky Bottoms (Event)
James Cahill

Re: Updated strut bar faq.
Wednesday, June 21, 2006 10:06 PM
wow

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Thursday, June 22, 2006 6:20 AM
This not a Sticky yet?
Thursday, June 22, 2006 6:41 AM
Why no sticky ?

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, June 22, 2006 6:55 AM
I'm in the middle of overhauling the Suspenion FAQ and I'll include this in what I have so far.
I'll post up a draft of what I have later today...

Thursday, June 22, 2006 7:52 AM
Finally! Somebody posts pictures instead of just talking about it...

Nice work.

Vehicle powered by the hand of God
Thursday, June 22, 2006 10:35 AM
So the fender bars exist?

From HCO?

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Thursday, June 22, 2006 11:56 AM
Mastin wrote:So the fender bars exist?

From HCO?

-M

The fender bars are made in 3 different configurations by a local company called HDE.

They are not selling them currently, they are in the process of testing the prototypes.

Thursday, June 22, 2006 2:05 PM
I think there is a few things in there that should not be. The fender bar, shock tower plates, and Tri-Strut braces, and alos fender to radiator braces. All of these are items we do not use on our cars. Except for maybe the Tri-Strut bar (which I have never heard that before). We have the GM bar that can be tied into the firewall. The others I have never seen before (except from the factory on other carsex: fender to radiator braces). I think it should have things that our for our cars. I can see it now people asking questions about these and there is no product for our cars. Also the shocker tower plates, and fender bars sound more like rip off parts to me.

FU Tuning

Thursday, June 22, 2006 2:26 PM
John Higgins wrote:I think there is a few things in there that should not be. The fender bar, shock tower plates, and Tri-Strut braces, and alos fender to radiator braces. All of these are items we do not use on our cars. Except for maybe the Tri-Strut bar (which I have never heard that before). We have the GM bar that can be tied into the firewall. The others I have never seen before (except from the factory on other carsex: fender to radiator braces). I think it should have things that our for our cars. I can see it now people asking questions about these and there is no product for our cars. Also the shocker tower plates, and fender bars sound more like rip off parts to me.

Well to begin, You can make anything for your car, along these lines. So what if you want something different, and not like standard strut bars. Well you have options. Now one example was your fender to radiator braces example. Well im in the process for the 3.8L s/c swap. There must had a good reason to stiffen the front end of that car, which was built for that engine. Do you have any idea how much a chassis of a J body flexes with that engine? Lets say, alot.

Tri bars are just like the GM bar, except instead of leaving all tortional stress on one bar, its split into 3.

Shock tower bars work best with conventional strut bars and as well as fender bars. Oh and if you think fender bars are rip off pieces, why do they come STOCK, from factory for many cars, including the WRX and STI, and for less powerful cars like kia sephia and rio.

And i guess you didnt read well cause i used the vibrant strut bars from our cars as an example as well.

But here's what you really need to understand, Just about every month, which may not seem much to you, there is a question regarding some other form of chassis support not made for our cars. And they ask why? and then they continue to ask how hard it is to make one, and so forth and so on. Example: subframe brace, K frame brace, Linear body braces, etc.

So there is good reason to explain all the conventional braces regardless of if its made or not. Soon ill update this with such items as subframe braces, linear bars, sway bars, etc.

Friday, June 23, 2006 6:04 PM
As soon as the HDE bars are available, ill update with pictures.

Saturday, June 24, 2006 10:07 AM
Will be looking for em on the real.

-M

Sunday, June 25, 2006 2:47 PM
I'd like to see some kind of chart or something that says which bars (with part numbers) will fit which cars. Like will the vibrant front bar fit my 04 Cavalier without having to move my ECU and/or the cruise control box; or will it fit but with some modification. I think that would be a bigger help to most people than the different types of bars.

Sunday, June 25, 2006 3:46 PM
^^^^^ the vibrant bars are a really poor fit on the ecotec cavs. you can get them on but you will have to adjust the ECU bracket (just bend it) and you will have to do something with the cruise unit.
IMO the best bar for our cars is the DC sports one. man it bolts right on everything fits great. and doesn't touch anything like the vibrant bar will.

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/my2005cav/my%20car%20the%20bash.jpg
Sunday, June 25, 2006 4:39 PM
Quote:

^^^^^ the vibrant bars are a really poor fit on the ecotec cavs. you can get them on but you will have to adjust the ECU bracket (just bend it) and you will have to do something with the cruise unit

And that statement can be said for almost all of the strut bars for the Jbody used on the Ecotec.

Minus the DC sports like you mentioned.

I finally settled on the DC sports for my LD9.
But if I could get a cf Freedom Design I'd take that one.

-M

Sunday, June 25, 2006 7:58 PM
I would also like to know where to buy some of these at. I know jason and other various sellers on here can get them if you ask, but what about the cf Freedom Design one ^^you said? Also is the $125 DC Bar all that better than this $45 Generic Bar that I know a few people on here have bought (Steve Wood) and fits fine with no modification. It would just be nice to get more info on that instead of someone having to ask every few posts on what strut bars will fit or which ones are better, not all the different types. By the way, this faq is helpful, and I am not knocking on this at all, its just it could be that much better

Sunday, June 25, 2006 9:28 PM
I got my Vibrant bar to go on fine,you bolt it over the ECU bracket, and bolt the cruise bracket on top of the bar bracket.

15.149 @ 91.26mph 3-18-2006
Monday, June 26, 2006 6:24 AM
Atk: Made a thread about it. You can read it here: Strut Bar comparison

And there is no 'better' bar.

Basically for us its about which one think looks the best that you want under your hood.

But I was saying for me currently I have the DC sports bar.
And for 100% ease of installation for Ecotecs you guys could look at that.
For 99% easy, you can go for any other bar.

-M

Monday, June 26, 2006 1:55 PM
great thread. i was just lookin into all of this. bookmarkin when i get home tonite.

my carDomain
Tuesday, June 27, 2006 10:09 PM
s1lver_N1p wrote:great thread. i was just lookin into all of this. bookmarkin when i get home tonite.

np, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Friday, June 30, 2006 5:54 PM
why has this not became a sticky, but great info, good job

Under Construction, should be finished before years over...
Corey

Saturday, July 01, 2006 11:11 AM
Corey Duquette wrote:why has this not became a sticky, but great info, good job

Saturday, July 01, 2006 6:36 PM
cheap bars, look on ebay... i have both front and rear from ebay and i love them both

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Wednesday, July 05, 2006 9:11 PM
seriously, I would love to see the fender bars for our cars when they come out. I looked up HDE in google and didn't come back with anything, do they have a web page up?

Scott

When I boost, you boost, we boost
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You have been banned from NEJBODY.
You've displayed wayyy too many acts of pushing people to their limits.
It's never cool to tear people down for what they want to do.
NEJBODY is a team. We're not the same as JBO where everyone bashes on eachother.
I'm surprised you show up to our meets after half of the things you say on here.
Wednesday, July 05, 2006 9:17 PM
HDE doesnt have their page up yet, they have the website listed, but nothing is on it yet. HDE has 3 different prototype fenderbar/strut bar combinations in developement, as well as a few other things not currenlty made for j's.

HDE is the culmination of 8 j body owners, actaully all sunfire owners, who were disappointed in the amount of products and choices for the fires. There is much more made for cavy's. However thats soon to change. BTW, they are a local company. so when they get up and running, ill update the post and about a dozen other people here.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search