Service and ABS lights on - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Service and ABS lights on
Thursday, January 05, 2006 4:12 PM
Well just recently my abs and service light came on. dont know why but they did. I installed my B&M Shiftplus on christmas day but nothign happened until yesterday. It doesnt come on right away. it takes about 5-10 minutes before it comes on. and once my car is off it stays off for a little while again. I tried searching and saw about 405989384 threads. i was wondering why it doesnt come on right away and i checked and my abs works fine but once that light comes on then they are able to lock up. i was just wondering what to check and where i should start to try to fix the problem. Thanks in advance.

Re: Service and ABS lights on
Thursday, January 05, 2006 4:35 PM
The service engine soon light (I have no idea what, if any 3rd gens have them) or the check engine light (MIL)? They're two different things.

What happens when the ABS light comes on? Does it come on during the gauge check? Does it come on while idling in park/neutral? Or does it only come on when you move? More info is great.

Thursday, January 05, 2006 5:26 PM
No its not on during gauge check. And it will come on when im traveling. Thats about it. Like i said if my car is off for a few minutes it almost restarts the light and its off. but if i start driving agin it will come back on in a few minutes.

Friday, January 06, 2006 12:54 PM
There is no "service engine" light on a 3rd gen. There's check engine, maybe that's it?

Sounds like more of the same abs sensor problems described by many others recently. Do you live in an area with snow, or where it's <40* right now?

Friday, January 06, 2006 2:47 PM
If the light isn't coming on during the gauge check, theres a problem with the system. I would suggest a trip to Autozone to pull the code and see what it says. It could be a sensor problem like CTS said, but it could be a problem with the controller as well.

Friday, January 06, 2006 8:58 PM
There must be a service light it says service, with a little wrench under ir. all day today it never came on. its about 30 degrees out and no snow. i didnt know that aurtozone could pull a service code. ill let it go till it comes back, gotta figure out where to start to diagnose.

Saturday, January 07, 2006 11:16 AM
ok, here we go again......This has happened to me and to many other 00+ J members, 2000-2005 cavaliers have a service light which older cavaliers dont... if you have service light + ABS and possbile also trac OFF light on.....(cuz ABS is related to the traction control) it means one of your 4 ABS sensor is damaged or disconnected, the car should run fine, CAN'T clear codes, unless you change them or repair them, its an expensive part, but since it happened to me before warraty ran out the paid for everything...2 damaged sensors + labor= over $600....hope this helps

CaviFL45

Saturday, January 07, 2006 11:21 AM
yes it does, if the sensors are bad is there a way to narrow it down to a single sensor? And how hard is the sensor to remove like if i went to a junkyard to get a new one.

Saturday, January 07, 2006 11:26 AM
front are very very easy to remove.....rear one are kinda pain in the A$$....but have a technician check it, he will let you know.....even though I diagnose the car with that OBII thing and it said the left sensor was bad and wasnt reading, it actually was rear right....the car cumputer was messed up...

CaviFL45

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search