ABS busted... - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ABS busted...
Saturday, December 17, 2005 2:28 PM
I've been relying on my ABS a lot this winter, and yesterday just as I was leaving to drive 200 miles to my parents' house the amber ABS light came on. I stopped at an auto parts store to get it scanned, but they couldn't pick anything up with the ODB II scanner they had... but when I went to start my car to leave the store the ABS light was off and the brakes worked again. 10 miles down the road the light came back on and it refused to use the ABS... Anyway it was in the middle of a snowstorm and I found out this car sucks without ABS.

Do you need a special scan tool to pick up ABS codes on the 99 Z24? I'm just wondering if I should try having the auto store try to get the code for me again, or if I'm screwed and need to pay the dealer to fix it. It seems like everytime I have the car off for at least 5 minutes the ABS fault goes away. I just want to figure out what part it is so I can fix it myself.

- Ken

'99 Z24, Manual

Re: ABS busted...
Saturday, December 17, 2005 3:02 PM
the sensors could be fouled. that happened too my dad's 2002 suburban. i dont think they had to replace them, just clean them up good.

Saturday, December 17, 2005 4:28 PM
yes you do have to have a scaner that will read more than the pcm , to get the bs codes

Saturday, December 17, 2005 8:36 PM
First thing first, Check the fuse. Mine was loose and did the exact same thing. Also check your brake fluid, just in case.

Saturday, December 17, 2005 9:15 PM
Hmmm Im having trouble with my brakes locking on the rear passenger side...
but I cant find anything wrong and the ABS light hasnt come on...any of you
guys got a clue??

Sunday, December 18, 2005 12:30 PM
^ warped drum, or it's adjusted too tight.

CAR GODS MADE THE 1.6 SOHC TO MAKE US 2.2 OHV GUYS FEEL BETTER.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search