ld9 to le5 engine swap - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ld9 to le5 engine swap
Wednesday, November 21, 2007 12:54 PM
has anyone done this or thought about doing it?

Re: ld9 to le5 engine swap
Wednesday, November 21, 2007 1:12 PM
try searching

there's about 76894372589 threads on this

Thursday, November 22, 2007 7:23 AM
DaFlyinSkwirl (PJ) - APU wrote:try searching

there's about 76894372589 threads on this

How long did it take you to count them all?

Sunday, November 25, 2007 1:04 AM
ya how long? anyway there is not much about the le5 in "search"

Sunday, November 25, 2007 2:16 AM
wtf is the le5? and sadly i know engine codes lol

Sunday, November 25, 2007 5:58 AM
It's the 2.4l Eco.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 6:10 AM
Can't be done without stand alone ems.

---------------------------------------------------
4 Cams...32 Valves...5 Liters...This Could Get Fun!

Sunday, November 25, 2007 9:05 AM
DO IT, I really want to see a J with the 2.4 done up! Its probably not any less work than swapping a 3.4 in though.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 10:04 AM
The crank is completely different, a cav has a 6x reluctor ring, the le5 has a 56x, there is NO way to do anything about this w/o a stand alone. Trust me, I've dug and dug trying to find a loop hole that will allow this swap w/o the use of a stand alone, it's not there. Cruel hard facts of life. So again I say, it cannot be done w/o the aid of a stand alone ems.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 10:32 AM
I would love to see that too

GMR has got nothing on this
Sunday, November 25, 2007 2:08 PM
ecotech swaps are easy, the 2.4 is the same thing thing just biger, it'll drop right in no problem. I'd but the sky/solstice 6 speed in it to. Start buying parts and post pics of the progress, just use an ecu form an eco and your done.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 2:35 PM
Darkstars wrote:ecotech swaps are easy, the 2.4 is the same thing thing just biger, it'll drop right in no problem. I'd but the sky/solstice 6 speed in it to. Start buying parts and post pics of the progress, just use an ecu form an eco and your done.

rwd tranny = not fwd freindly,

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Sunday, November 25, 2007 2:56 PM
So you guys really don't buy into that the crank has a different reluctor ring huh? Fine go get yourself a LE5 and bolt it up or a 07 LSJ go ahead, I think that one has the 56x reluctor ring too. And when they don't work w/ a standard L61 ecu,don't come in here crying that it's runnin like crap.I've tried, and tried, and tried to figure out how to do it w/o a stand alone. It will bolt up, but the pcm will give you hell and it won't run right until you address the difference in the reluctor ring. The L61 pcm is only expecting to see the difference in the crank sensor 6 times per revolution, when it sees it 56 times it's going to idle and run like complete crap. Until someone comes out w/ a stroker kit or something for the L61 we are currently stuck w/ it unless you go w/ a stand alone.

I would love to have the increase in displacement and compression that the LE5 offers, 10.5:1 stock compression, along w/ a larger bore and longer stroke than a L61. I just don't want a stand alone....yet. And I've yet to see aftermarket rods/pistons for the LE5, so until I'm ready to do a stand alone and the aftermarket offers pistons/rods, this won't be happening anytime soon for me.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 3:12 PM
Darkstars wrote:ecotech swaps are easy, the 2.4 is the same thing thing just biger, it'll drop right in no problem. I'd but the sky/solstice 6 speed in it to. Start buying parts and post pics of the progress, just use an ecu form an eco and your done.

I was kidding. Its been talked up many times and its well known that its not a dirrect or easy swap. If I can get some dumb ass to start buying parts and make a progress thread becasue he can't search that wouold be funny to me

Sunday, November 25, 2007 7:16 PM
Darkstars wrote:

I was kidding. Its been talked up many times and its well known that its not a dirrect or easy swap. If I can get some dumb ass to start buying parts and make a progress thread becasue he can't search that wouold be funny to me

Ahhh.... now I get it.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 7:23 PM
Short Hand wrote:

I have an LE5 in my HHR and so does the Cobalt SS (non-supercharged). They will also be in the new Malibu, so the LE5 is in something other than the Solstice.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 7:48 PM
after a one second search using "2.4 eco"

ECOTEC swap on monday but 2.2 or 2.4?
2.4 eco in a sunfire
ECO gurus... need to pick your brain.. (2.4 questions)
2.4l LD9 swap 2.4L Ecotec?
2.4 ecotec
'96 2.4 z24 to 2.4 eco

here's my search results: search results for 2.4 eco

is it that hard to use the damn search button? you just goto the lil search boxy thing.. and type in words that pertain to what you're looking for...

70 threads... just this forum alone...

Sunday, November 25, 2007 7:52 PM
across the whole site... 111 threads about "2.4 eco"

111 2.4 ecotec threads (search results)

Sunday, November 25, 2007 8:48 PM
Skunk v.2K4 wrote:
Darkstars wrote:
Darkstars wrote: ecotec swaps are easy, the 2.4 is the same thing thing just bigger, it'll drop right in no problem. I'd but the sky/solstice 6 speed in it to. Start buying parts and post pics of the progress, just use an ecu form an eco and your done.

I was kidding. Its been talked up many times and its well known that its not a direct or easy swap. If I can get some dumb ass to start buying parts and make a progress thread because he can't search that wouold be funny to me

Ahhh.... now I get it.

haha I seen him say that and knew EXACTLY what he was doing lol

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 9:20 AM
CHM wrote:
Short Hand wrote:

I have an LE5 in my HHR and so does the Cobalt SS (non-supercharged). They will also be in the new Malibu, so the LE5 is in something other than the Solstice.

Their also in the G6. Where did everyone get the idea that the solstice was the only car with it!?
You'll have to get a tranny to fit, but sure, it should work with some custom mounts.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 9:49 AM
Rob Durrett wrote:
CHM wrote:
Short Hand wrote:

Their also in the G6. Where did everyone get the idea that the solstice was the only car with it!?
You'll have to get a tranny to fit, but sure, it should work with some custom mounts.

the LE5 (2.4l ecotec n/a) is found in:
Cobalt
HHR
Malibu
G5
G6
Solstice
Sky

i'm pretty sure there's others

you don't need custom mounts, the blocks are the same just bolt on the motor mounts and it'll bolt in

its a different story electronically

Friday, January 18, 2008 3:03 PM
Darkstars wrote:

I have a 2004 Saturn Ion REDLINE. I have bolted a LE5 short block with eagle rods and wiseco pistons and a LSJ head and blower. the reluctor rings are different your correct but they can be swapped heres some pics of the LSJ reluctor ring and the LE5 reluctor ring.

heres some pics so you guys can see the difference.

in this pic the LSJ reluctor wheel is on the left the LE5 on the right.

in this pic the rings are in the position they would be mounted on the crank. the bolt holes only line up one way from what I can tell. in the pic the LE5 ring is sitting on top you can see a difference in not only tooth spacing size but its very obvious that the reference gaps are in different spots from each other. as you can see by the reference gap difference the LE5 ring reference gap is severly retarted compaired to the LSJ ring. this could explain why my down pipe was lighting up glowing red when the car was idling. actually by compairing this it explaines why my car was acting the way it was period... of you see the two rings in person it appears that the tooth spacing are slightly smaller from ring to ring the same goes with the reference gaps as well. The car (computer needed to see the LSJ ring and it wasnt so im almost certain that this will be my fix.)

Heres some other pics of the two rings.

LE5 ring

LSJ Ring

Friday, January 18, 2008 3:08 PM
Skunk v.2K4 wrote:So you guys really don't buy into that the crank has a different reluctor ring huh? Fine go get yourself a LE5 and bolt it up or a 07 LSJ go ahead, I think that one has the 56x reluctor ring too. And when they don't work w/ a standard L61 ecu,don't come in here crying that it's runnin like crap.I've tried, and tried, and tried to figure out how to do it w/o a stand alone. It will bolt up, but the pcm will give you hell and it won't run right until you address the difference in the reluctor ring. The L61 pcm is only expecting to see the difference in the crank sensor 6 times per revolution, when it sees it 56 times it's going to idle and run like complete crap. Until someone comes out w/ a stroker kit or something for the L61 we are currently stuck w/ it unless you go w/ a stand alone.

I would love to have the increase in displacement and compression that the LE5 offers, 10.5:1 stock compression, along w/ a larger bore and longer stroke than a L61. I just don't want a stand alone....yet. And I've yet to see aftermarket rods/pistons for the LE5, so until I'm ready to do a stand alone and the aftermarket offers pistons/rods, this won't be happening anytime soon for me.

I have a 2004 Saturn Ion REDLINE. I have bolted a LE5 short block with eagle rods and wiseco pistons and a LSJ head and blower. the reluctor rings are different your correct but they can be swapped heres some pics of the LSJ reluctor ring and the LE5 reluctor ring. if you wanted to use the PCM out of a Ion REDLINE or Cobalt SS S/C and still put a LE5 in your car it can be done.

in this pic the rings are in the position they would be mounted on the crank. the bolt holes only line up one way from what I can tell. in the pic the LE5 ring is sitting on top you can see a difference in not only tooth spacing size but its very obvious that the reference gaps are in different spots from each other. as you can see by the reference gap difference the LE5 ring reference gap is severly retarted compaired to the LSJ ring. this could explain why my down pipe was lighting up glowing red when the car was idling. actually by compairing this it explaines why my car was acting the way it was period... of you see the two rings in person it appears that the tooth spacing are slightly smaller from ring to ring the same goes with the reference gaps as well. The car (computer needed to see the LSJ ring and it wasnt so im almost certain that this will be my fix.)

Heres some other pics of the two rings.

LE5 ring

LSJ Ring

Friday, January 18, 2008 5:14 PM
huh thats pretty awesome man, have you got this to run yet??

Friday, January 25, 2008 7:13 PM
The funny story about that is the car actually ran using the stock computer in my redline and the LE5 reluctor wheel. it didnt run very well. in theory it didnt run at all. the ring is in the process of some very light modification to ensure that the redline ECU can get the correct pulse on the crank sensor. the reason for this is that the crank on the LE5 sits in further (from front to back) then the LSJ. should be done this weekend and the car will go back together this week.

anyway here's some pics of the LSJ reluctor swapped into/on the LE5 Block/crank

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search