Vibran cat back installed - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Vibran cat back installed
Thursday, October 25, 2007 5:47 PM
well, i got my vibrant catback installed this week. ran into a few problems with it though, but all seems to be good now.

first problem was not all the hardware included in the box, but i fixed that with a trip to the parts store for a gasket and bolts.
second, the install isnt quite as bolt on as i thought it was. the rear hanger needed to be lowered down a touch to get the exhaust to get under the bumper.
the hanger on the mid pipe was pointed the opposite way from where the hanger on the car was positioned.
also, where the mid pipe clamps to the intermediate pipe, it was leaking.

so...
i bought new hardware.

the rear hanger was lowered to get the exhaust under the bumper. we undid the rear bolt of the two bolts on that hanger and put in a self tapping screw so it was nice and attached to the car still, but in a better position.

the hanger on the mid pipe problem was fun... i undid the hanger for it and found an existing bolt to mount it to that was also holding the brakelines and stuff down and now it holds both.

and the leak was fixed by the shop that installed it. the took some time to troubleshoot it and moved the original clamp and even put on a new clamp.

i will post a sound file or video and a pics one day soon hopefully.

by the way, its pretty damn loud... louder than i wanted atleast. but the price was right, so its all good.

1997 RedR - ZedR

Re: Vibran cat back installed
Thursday, October 25, 2007 6:15 PM
This is officially a worthless post with pics or vid.

Thursday, October 25, 2007 6:25 PM
dude, i posted that up at a quarter to 9... its dark outside, so a video or pictures would be pointless.

1997 RedR - ZedR
Thursday, October 25, 2007 10:24 PM
Save it for tomorrow then, dude. This thread is pointless without photo or video, so congrats on having worthless post for 12+ hours, dude.

Friday, October 26, 2007 7:46 PM
alright,

well like i promised i went out and shot some video tonight so you could hear the exhaust. not much to look at since there was no light on the camera and it was night time. dont pay too much attention to the dark screen, pay more attention to the sound

it sounds pretty good in the car, but man is it ever loud when the camera is behind the car at the exhaust pipe!

anyways, here is the links to the videos.

start up and cold idle

driving in car, windows up

driving in car, windows down

Out of car idle and reved up to 4K RPM outside of car

1997 RedR - ZedR
Friday, October 26, 2007 9:27 PM
So yo ordered the one from Never Enough?
I think technically it was for the Ecotec, but still, can't be missin hardware.

But like you said, price is right.

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.
Saturday, October 27, 2007 6:16 AM
no, i bought it from the vibrant warehouse. they have a warehouse about 45 minutes way from me and they were having a warehouse sale.

ts ment for the 2.4L Ld0, but its specified for the 99-02 i think. apparently they have the hanger in a different spot.

1997 RedR - ZedR
Sunday, October 28, 2007 1:11 PM
Solid.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 1:28 PM
I wish mine was that quiet or sounded like that. Congrats man.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 1:30 PM
thanks, im happy with it for the most part, but would be even more pleased if it was quieter. im debating gettng a chambered resonator for it now. the vibrant catback does not have a resonator like the factory pipinig does, and it has a straight through muffler too.

im happy it is a low tone exhaust note, but i would be happier if it wasnt as loud. at idle it sounds great, but under acceleration it can get a little annoying.

1997 RedR - ZedR
Sunday, October 28, 2007 2:27 PM
and before anyone says anything... i ment ld9 in one of my previous posts, not ld0

1997 RedR - ZedR

Sunday, October 28, 2007 2:32 PM
I don't like it but I have to say it sounds ALOT better then the vibrant on an eco

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 5:39 AM
Darkstars wrote:I don't like it but I have to say it sounds ALOT better then the vibrant on an eco

Have you seen the youtube ecotec vibrant video sounds way the hella better than this guy's LD9.....

2005 LS Auto (Blue)
-M62 Kit with 3.1"
-ZZP S3 H/E setup
-Pacesetter armor coated header
-Magnaflow 22" resonator (p/n 10436)
-Vibrant CatBack
-TTR Upper and Lower motor mounts
Tuesday, December 04, 2007 6:02 AM
I don't search youtube for videos of fart cans. I worked with a guy with an 04 LS SPOrt with the vibrant catback and it was horrible. I wouldn't run that exhaust if it were free.

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 6:27 AM
granted the exhaust is a little louder sounding then i would have liked it to be, but it was a more cost effective way for me to go.

i was planning on building my own catback system using the walker quietflow 3 muffler in a 2.25 inlet/outlet. i was at the vibrant warehouse buying my mandrel j-bends when i decided to look at their full catback system.

the catback cost me $175.

the j-bends i would have needed would have cost about $55 each, and needing 3-4 of them. plus the cost of the walker exhaust at $90 and the cost of having it all cut and welded together. this would have brought my custom exhaust to near a total of $350-400.

the only thing i think i would have done differently is buy resonator aswell, which still would have kept me under $200 if i bought the vibrant one from their warehouse.

i have also noticed that the sound has changed a bit from the time i made these videos. the sound is not quite as "tinny" sounding as it once was, though there is still some drone through some of the RPM range.

i wasnt posting these sound files up so i could read about u two bitching about my car. i posted them up so people could have a listen and see how it sounds and get a better idea of what they might be buying. there are thing you have to take into account with these sound files such as the mic on my camera (not the best camera), and your speakers. if your speakers are @!#$, it will sound like @!#$ (imagine that)...

not trying to start crap here, just don't like people bad mouthing my car because thats not something i like to do to others.

1997 RedR - ZedR
Tuesday, December 04, 2007 6:36 AM
YO "Darkstars" I don't either bud, but when Im spending 400 bucks on a catback system I think I want to pick the right one out!!! Don't start @!#$ man......and Whitegoose I meant that in no offense I was just tying to get Darkstars off his high horse....Im done posting in this thread

2005 LS Auto (Blue)
-M62 Kit with 3.1"
-ZZP S3 H/E setup
-Pacesetter armor coated header
-Magnaflow 22" resonator (p/n 10436)
-Vibrant CatBack
-TTR Upper and Lower motor mounts
Tuesday, December 04, 2007 11:22 AM
I have the vibrant on my ecotec and I love the way it sounds, probaly isnt a bad idea to add a resonator though.
Tuesday, December 04, 2007 12:34 PM
I kinda like the way it sounds, Id throw a resonator on it.

I never liked how "fart cans" looked, I would just chop the muffler off and put the one you wanted on there.

For a start and that price I like it.

I have a megan racing cat-back (well its really a header back -- been modified) that Im going to chop up a bit, but I got it for $100. I just needed the 2.5" piping, and since its pre-bent and could be hung on the car as-is, All i need is a cat-resonator-muffler, which puts me probably at $300 tops for parts.

I suggest going that route, but I do like how it sounds, better with a resonator.

cheers
Tuesday, December 04, 2007 6:39 PM
Eric Schellpeper wrote:YO "Darkstars" I don't either bud, but when Im spending 400 bucks on a catback system I think I want to pick the right one out!!! Don't start @!#$ man......and Whitegoose I meant that in no offense I was just tying to get Darkstars off his high horse....Im done posting in this thread

I wasn't aware my opinion based of hearing it first hand instead of on a you tube video was considered "starting @!#$" I've heard, I hate it, I would never use it.

And Whitegoose, I'm not sure why your panties are in a bunch, I said I didn't liek it but that it does sound alot better then the vibrant on the eco.... if thats bad mouthing your car all I can do is laugh.

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 7:00 PM
Darkstars wrote:
Eric Schellpeper wrote:YO "Darkstars" I don't either bud, but when Im spending 400 bucks on a catback system I think I want to pick the right one out!!! Don't start @!#$ man......and Whitegoose I meant that in no offense I was just tying to get Darkstars off his high horse....Im done posting in this thread

I wasn't aware my opinion based of hearing it first hand instead of on a you tube video was considered "starting @!#$" I've heard, I hate it, I would never use it.

And Whitegoose, I'm not sure why your panties are in a bunch, I said I didn't liek it but that it does sound alot better then the vibrant on the eco.... if thats bad mouthing your car all I can do is laugh.

ya when i re-read my post, came across a bit bitchy. heres what i was trying to get at. the vibrant was the right price, thats why i went with it. reading some of the posts on here, i got a little offended. seems like the mentality of some of the people on here is that if you dont spend alot of money on your modifications it must be @!#$.

granted you dont like how it sounds, and thats your opinion. im not 100% happy with it either, but for what i paid i like it. take my comments as you want, but when i hear people talking about things on my car that
Quote:

I would never use it.
i might sometimes take it the wrong way. i still appreciate the fact that you said its not as bad as the one on the ecotec that you have heard in person,which sounded better than the one on youtube, but at the same time mine sounds much better in person too.

1997 RedR - ZedR
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search