The definitive Ecotec spark plug post - Page 3 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: The definitive Ecotec spark plug post
Sunday, March 05, 2006 7:34 AM
Yasmin...we are not wrong. Just because you use something different doesn't make us wrong. Sorry. You may have found a nice Iridium replacement for the Ecotec but some of us still prefer to use a good, old copper plug under boost, me included.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26

Friday, March 17, 2006 11:42 PM
So you wanna send me some of there plugs there bud

Saturday, March 18, 2006 10:17 AM
I just got some Champion SRT-4 plugs from Eastern Chrysler in Winnipeg $4.50 each CDN ! part # S2 RE14MC-C5. The parts counter guy told me it was the first set they have sold.

Thats Him Officer The WICKED One.

Saturday, March 18, 2006 1:32 PM
Phlatcav wrote:So you wanna send me some of there plugs there bud

Send me an email with your address and a paypal for $17 ($15+fees) or a check for $15 and I'll get them out.

Saturday, March 18, 2006 7:06 PM
i sent ya an email, just need the paypal addy bro.

Sunday, March 26, 2006 5:59 PM
so the part # for these plugs are RE14MCC5 ???

Sunday, March 26, 2006 6:06 PM
Thats what is on the box I have from the Chrysler dealer

Thats Him Officer The WICKED One.

Sunday, March 26, 2006 6:12 PM
Quik question, i noticed the srt 4 plugs do not have a compression ring on them like my ac delcos have. will that be a problem?

Monday, March 27, 2006 8:25 PM
chris orr, have you put the plugs in yet? just making sure its running right..

Monday, March 27, 2006 9:19 PM
phlat: i have been running these for months without it and without a glitch.

Monday, March 27, 2006 10:08 PM
lets back up those pics with some dyno numbers.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 12:28 PM
do you guys have any recommendations of spark plug wires to run with NGK'S??

OEM CAMBER/CASTER KIT 10 People for $210 <P>
GOT ECOTEC?
Tuesday, March 28, 2006 1:40 PM
since when did ecotecs have spark plug wires?

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 2:00 PM
ryan22re wrote:lets back up those pics with some dyno numbers.

All my 12 second passes were made on SRT4 plugs. Also my 260WHP/278ft/lb dyno pull was made while them installed. Enough proof?

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 4:06 PM
Team Vision Racing (aka hypsy wrote:All my 12 second passes were made on SRT4 plugs. Also my 260WHP/278ft/lb dyno pull was made while them installed. Enough proof?

no, not really.

unless you made significantly less hp with other plugs, or you picked up a couple of tenths.

im sure you could pick up a couple of tenths and 10-20 hp just by replacing worn out plugs.

but if it works for you great.
Tuesday, March 28, 2006 4:30 PM
My plugs at no point were ever "worn out." When racing season is in full effect I average 3 weeks to a month on a set of plugs TOPS.

The SRT4 plugs, when compared to the autolites, showed a considerable improvement in idle and low RPM perofrmance.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 4:43 PM
Team Vision Racing (aka hypsy) wrote:The SRT4 plugs, when compared to the autolites, showed a considerable improvement in idle and low RPM perofrmance.

well then that must be definitive.
Tuesday, March 28, 2006 4:52 PM
Man if you want to call BS then do it already or shut up. Either buy a set and try them or quit bad mouthing them. End of discussion.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 5:36 PM
im not calling bs. i just dont see how definitive it is that the srt plugs fit in the heads. they are two heat ranges colder ok so now what? there are hundreds of plugs that would fit properly in the head. does that make them better? personally, i think champion plugs are junk. but if they work for you, great. i dont think that just because they fit and are two heat ranges colder than stock should mean that this is the end all spark plug discussion. wheres the tech in that?
Tuesday, March 28, 2006 7:04 PM
ryan22re wrote:im not calling bs. i just dont see how definitive it is that the srt plugs fit in the heads. they are two heat ranges colder ok so now what? there are hundreds of plugs that would fit properly in the head. does that make them better? personally, i think champion plugs are junk. but if they work for you, great. i dont think that just because they fit and are two heat ranges colder than stock should mean that this is the end all spark plug discussion. wheres the tech in that?

1) the picture was to show that the plug that everyone suggested, the autolite and NGK, were too short and that the plug that Bill Hahn recommended to me and thusly I recommended to others was the proper plug to use.
2) They are ONE step colder than stock.
3) If Champion is such junk then why is it the factory plug for 5 brands of autombile?
4) There are not hundreds of plugs that would fit. Almost all others are too short due to the unusual design of the Ecotec head
5) They have been used by many people now with no complaints...I think that proves the point good enough.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 9:15 PM
hey the knowledge is out here now, if you want to whine ppl go ahead and use your too short autolites, none of the rest of us really give a @!#$ if you screw up the head running the improper plug, the reason why the champs are best plug for boosted ecos is that they are the only copper plug out there that is the proper heat range and size, i been running them for months they dont last as long as the stockers but they do well and if i ever need nitrous i can still use them

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 7:59 AM
Team Vision Racing (aka hypsy) wrote:
ryan22re wrote:im not calling bs. i just dont see how definitive it is that the srt plugs fit in the heads. they are two heat ranges colder ok so now what? there are hundreds of plugs that would fit properly in the head. does that make them better? personally, i think champion plugs are junk. but if they work for you, great. i dont think that just because they fit and are two heat ranges colder than stock should mean that this is the end all spark plug discussion. wheres the tech in that?

1) the picture was to show that the plug that everyone suggested, the autolite and NGK, were too short and that the plug that Bill Hahn recommended to me and thusly I recommended to others was the proper plug to use.
2) They are ONE step colder than stock.
3) If Champion is such junk then why is it the factory plug for 5 brands of autombile?
4) There are not hundreds of plugs that would fit. Almost all others are too short due to the unusual design of the Ecotec head
5) They have been used by many people now with no complaints...I think that proves the point good enough.

Well despite the attitudes and flaming, i think what they're trying to say here Ryne, is that without some kind of dyno comparison, or datalog of some form, to compare several different types of plug, then it really isn't correct to say which plug is "right" or not. Just because no one has had problems still doesn't mean that it is the "ideal" choice. There could be plugs out there that actually respond better in the ecotec that do fit properly. From what i've been told by a lot of 4 cylinder engine builders, typically, for every 50 whp increase over stock, you should go down a heat range, and close the gap by about .002-.004" . Obviously such a general rule isn't set in stone, but it comes down to each engine and setup... and the only way to know is with some type of quantifiable data, not just personal impressions... You'd laugh at someone saying that they "felt" a 20 hp difference from an air intake or pulley, right? And you'd tell them to back this up with proof, right? The people in this thread are doing nothing different. Just cuz if fits doesn't make it the best plug for the job.

Now I'm not saying it is, i'm not saying it isn't.... what i'm saying is that before telling everyone what the "correct" plug is for a boosted J-body, someone should do some sort of scientific comparison, rather than have the whole .org counting on the seat of your pants to be the judge. I think thats fair, no?

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Wednesday, March 29, 2006 12:33 PM
Like Matt said...If you want to run a plug that is about .5in too short and sparks in the spark plug hole...be my guest. I on the other hand will run a plug that is the right length, right reach, and right material for nitrous and boost performance.

But hey...what do I know? It's not like I've done any testing on the plugs and tried them back-to-back-to-back at the track or anything. Oh wait, yes I have. And what do ya know...we dyno'd with all three as well. If you don't want to listen to the test results I've posted in so many threads and listen to the word of everyone else who has used them...so be it. It's only a motor and it sure as hell ain't my motor so I no longer care what you people use.

You don't wanna look at pictures that prove the NGK and Autolites are to short, you won't listen to the result I gave with all of the plugs, and you won't listen to common sense. I don't know what else I can do.

For anyone that still wants THE RIGHT PLUGS I have 5 sets of SRT 4 Champions sitting about 10 feet away from me. $15 via check or $17 via paypal. Shipping is included in that price. That is all.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 12:40 PM
They're f***ing spark plugs. You guys are splitting hairs. Ryne's plugs do seem to work, and a spark plug isnt going to make a huge difference hp wise, just like installing an MSD doesnt make a difference HP wise... it makes thing smoother but the gains you'd see on a dyno are minimal if you're running semi-close to the right plug and well within typical ranges you'd see between runs.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 6:09 PM
I think it's funny how the dealer can charge more than $10. for a set of copper spark plugs. Let alone champions.

Anyways, does the srt plug have a tapered seat?

LTR7IX-11
Is that the plug for the LSJ engine?
Cause that # looks familiar.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search