PLATINUM SPARK PLUGS???? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
PLATINUM SPARK PLUGS????
Friday, February 03, 2006 10:47 AM
do the bosch platinum +4 plugs make a big difference or should i not even bother. Any difference???

Re: PLATINUM SPARK PLUGS????
Friday, February 03, 2006 10:52 AM
Personally, I wouldn't bother with them simply because I've heard that the spark could be slightly delayed with 4 prongs. I was told this a while ago but something like the electricity would jump from prong to prong before allowing a spark to happen, hence the delay. I never really researched too far into it but a one prong plug is just fine. I don't think having more than 1 prong would give you any advantage.

Blown.
Friday, February 03, 2006 10:55 AM
You will get worse perfomance from just about anything bosch with our cars. Just stick with NGK, autolight, or AC delco.

Friday, February 03, 2006 10:56 AM
I tried the Bosch +4's in my 2000 Z24 the week I bought it.

GARBAGE!!

Poor fuel economy, no increase in performance, no benefit for the cost.

Don't bother.

Friday, February 03, 2006 11:36 AM
Yeah there junk. I remember doing a few tune ups with the +4's and they actually made idle worse on a camry my gf had. Plus they cant be gapped. They are a real rip off too. If your car is an ecotec, stockers are fine.
Friday, February 03, 2006 12:16 PM
I tried the + 2 since advance auto parts didn't have the NGK in that i wanted, so untill they came off back order i messed around with them and they are pure junk. On the other hand, Absolutly no one around my area had plugs in stock for my 03 PT cruiser limited ed. except the BOCH +2 or +4.... after cursing my head off about not being able to get to the plugs or wires easily, and removing the throttle body and upper intake manifold. I put the +2 in and the pt cruiser responded really well with them over the champions that came stock with it. THe champions were causing the car to missfire this past week for some reason. I did notice in the higher RPM range is was a smoother and fasyer acceleration than in the past 7K miles i have put on the car. Its weird....

Friday, February 03, 2006 12:35 PM
I had them in my 96 2.2L and worked excellent for me. Quick start-up in cold and hot (1/2 to one crank), smooth idle, made good/clean complete combustion, a small fraction in improvement in gas consumption as well.
Reading from what I am seeing here, I guess I got lucky.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Friday, February 03, 2006 1:55 PM
when i had these in my car every time i would stop at the light my car would fall dead it did this till i put the stockers back on and now it havent happen to me again so in conclusion these are crap

Friday, February 03, 2006 10:24 PM
I bought those Bosch plugs when i got my sunfire because everyone said their the best for those cars. So i put them in and it bogged untill about 3500 RPM, i raced my buddy in a tempo... yes a ford tempo and he beat me off the line!! but needless to say once i hit second i killed him but still. Horrible plugs, I put the old AC Delco plugs back in and it was a million times better!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, February 03, 2006 10:52 PM
I put the Platinum + 4's in my Z, and haven't had any problems with them and I could tell a little difference in them over my stockers.

Saturday, February 04, 2006 12:03 AM
Clipzed Z24 wrote:I put the Platinum + 4's in my Z, and haven't had any problems with them and I could tell a little difference in them over my stockers.

True story, After we put them in the car did seem to idle much better. But those plugs wont matter much longer will they baby

Saturday, February 04, 2006 12:51 AM
I actually just got done removing bosch platinum plus +4 plugs out of my car because it was idling erratic and losing a lot of power when i'd hit the brakes. Also my engine, without any mods other than intake+exhaust stalled twice in the span of 3 months. ( 75k miles, 2200 sfi )

I just put in NGK v-powers and i the performance difference was like.. 1/3rd a horsepower maybe, but my idle speed now holds and i doubt my car will stall from now on. ... the other thing is, after a mere 3 months the bosch plugs looked more worn than they should have. They worked pretty well the first month, but pooped out later. @!#$, my stock plugs performed better than those things after 3 months!

Just my vote..

Sadly, no more..
Saturday, February 04, 2006 2:17 AM
Stick with the single electrode plugs, more then one and you are adding a variable where you don't want any.

Do you think the spark is evenly distributed between the 4 prongs?

No, it picks the one prong with least resistance and it may be a different prong every time or the same one every time...

Best plugs to have are the most precise constant plugs.

But I did read an interesting theory today :

89iroc&rs wrote:now, multiprong sparkplugs, alla splitfire, do work. however not in the way people think. they do not create multiple spark kernals. what happens is an increased area for spark travel, meaning that there are more options for that single spark to travel on, so your plugs wear slower, last longer, and foul less often. as one area becomes burned from spark, it just moves to another area, and so on and so forth, but you are right, it will only travel on the path of least resistance.

I never thought of it this way before.
Saturday, February 04, 2006 5:38 AM
well thanks all of you for the warning. I was seriously very close to getting them. OK so how about the AC Delco Rapidfire ones. Any good???
Saturday, February 04, 2006 5:51 AM
AC Delco platinums rule. I had regular Bosch plats in the car and they lasted 3 months, then I had a horrible idle and it was running really lean. Delco fixed it

Saturday, February 04, 2006 6:40 AM
I had the 4s and loved them. I added the MSD coils and wires and it was way better after that.

I am all that is man

Saturday, February 04, 2006 9:00 AM
anything more than a single pronged plug is pretty much BULLSH-T....

its all a gimmick to try and get the plug to last longer. electricity takes the shortest path everytime...

so as one prong wears out, it goes to the next shortest path, however the extra prongs create hot spots and can cause the fuel to ignite before spark.

platinum isnt needed, its basically designed to last longer.

if you care anything about spark energy, then the plug with the smallest electrode will have the least wasted spark through the medium inside the plug. the result...cleaner more powerful spark.

Saturday, February 04, 2006 12:25 PM
i tried bosch +4's in my z24 a while back and they sucked.

a buddy of mine had them in his tracer and it was idling ruff and running bad and i told him to change the plugs. he replaced alot of crap and i bet him dinner that the plugs are crap and i was correct, took out the bosch plugs and put new ones in and i ate for free that night

i also had a friend that tried some bosch 02 sensors on his z24 and them were crap.

i believe in AC delco parts.

Saturday, February 04, 2006 12:39 PM
NGK IX platinum tr55's, best plugs you can get and reasonably priced
Dont overpay for parts that dont do anything performance wise.....
Sunday, February 05, 2006 10:07 AM
Brett Dixon wrote:NGK IX platinum tr55's, best plugs you can get and reasonably priced
Dont overpay for parts that dont do anything performance wise.....

ill be trying these

Sunday, February 05, 2006 1:36 PM
I put the +4's in my 90 acura integra, idled a little smoother for a week and a half then put a hole in a valve at 70 mphcrusing. I had never had an engine malfunction in 187000 miles till then.Coincedence? you decide. (but I wont put them in my 91 Legend or 03 Cav)

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 11:16 AM
just picked those up they cost me 40 bucks will install tommorow have to work today

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 12:07 PM
I just saw this post, those bosch's didnt work to well on my car, had to take it to the dealer for misfiring purposes and they told me the plugs are what did it.. They installed the ac delco ones and the car drove home fine. Thats just my experience.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, February 07, 2006 12:23 PM
ill be putting the ngk iridum's in mine soon , to replace the tr6's ive got now

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 11:34 PM
well I had the bosch plats in my 2200... replaced them with the ac delco plats and got more than 3-4 miles plus a gallon.. not much of a performance gain.. more so for the gas aspect.. but the car is runnin rich anyways so I think it has hurt the gas again.. because the first couple of tanks when I put them in i was gettin like 25-26mpg! now I cant get more than 22! plat +2s and +4s are a joke! not worth it! at least for gms anyways..
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search