How hard is it to do a Timing Belt on a 2.2? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How hard is it to do a Timing Belt on a 2.2?
Monday, November 14, 2005 5:51 PM
How hard is it to do a Timing Belt on a 2.2?

Re: How hard is it to do a Timing Belt on a 2.2?
Monday, November 14, 2005 5:55 PM
woops timing gear lol
Re: How hard is it to do a Timing Belt on a 2.2?
Monday, November 14, 2005 6:45 PM
This should be in the maintainance forum, but I'll give you a quick run down on how to do it.
If your mechanically inclined, it's not too bad. I found it easier than any rear wheel drive car that I've done before. Get a Hayne's or Chilton's, before you start, to answer any questions that might come up.
Get a 3 piece timing set, a tensioner(What usually causes timing chin failure) and a timing set/oil pan gasket set.
Jack up the front of the car, take off the right front tire and remove the inner plastic wheel well pieces, you'll see what you'll need to work on from the wheel.well.
Remove the accessory belt, starter,exhaust down pipe, oil pan,crank pulley, Pulley hub(Balancer removal/instalation tool of some sort required) and timing cover and your at the timing set.
You might have to remove or move some other things, but you'll see whats needed when you're down there.
Turn the engine by hand to line up the timing marks on the cam and crank gears with the metal tab on the tensioner.
Replace the timing set and tensioner.
Put it back together in the reverse order. Make sure you put some silicone in the appropriate locations and be careful not to over tighten the pan and cover bolts and you'll be fine.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search