Strange problem with leaking fuel. - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Strange problem with leaking fuel.
Tuesday, April 03, 2012 2:45 PM
So I have a '97 with the 2.4, I got it last year from a guy because he couldn't get it running. Well after we got it from him we found out he just had a clogged fuel pump.

Well I ended up replacing the entire fuel pump assembly, fuel filter (this was in really bad shape), fuel pressure regulator and fuel injector's. I probably didn't need to replace everything thing but figured I might as well. All parts were new.

So after all's said and done everything ran fine. Idle'd smooth ran like a new car. But a new problem developed,

If I pumped more then half a tank of gas it would create a lot of pressure in the system. Enough pressure where if I drove for 5-10 mins and then open the gas cap it would make a large Whoosh noise (I know all cars do this but this is very noticeably strong). Also after running for that long the car would occasionally stutter but never stall. And would eventually start leaking fuel from the front passenger side wheel-well.

After toying around with it for a bit I took it to my local mechanic to do some stethoscope work. He said that he wasn't getting a reading from fuel tank pressure regulator so it might not be registering the proper pressure and releasing it, causing pressure to build up enough to start pouring out of the carbon filter in the passenger wheel-well. but for him to be sure it would cost him quite a bit of money to pull it all out and test it.

So I replaced the fuel tank pressure regulator on top of the pump. And it seemed to do the trick but sure enough the next day it developed the same problem again.

Talked to a manger at Autozone, he said test the fuel pressure regulator, I do have a spare fuel pressure regulator (also brand new) lying around. Do you think it could have been this part?

It's starting to get annoying pumping 1/2 tank of gas every time. So before I shell out the money to the mechanic to fix my problem any suggestions or recommendations on what the problem might be? Am I missing something very obvious?

Could it be something as simple as the fuel pressure regulator that I is bad?

Any help would be greatly appreciated it.

And as a bonus to helping me so save a lot of hassle and money (I've lost a lot of gas so far trial and erroring on this ) I will donate $50 to JBO to help with hosting if I solve the problem with any of the solutions provided!!

Re: Strange problem with leaking fuel.
Tuesday, April 03, 2012 3:09 PM
Make sure your lines aren't kinked or crossed. To me it sounds like a blockage, possibly in the EVAP purge line.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 3:30 PM
Roofy wrote:Make sure your lines aren't kinked or crossed. To me it sounds like a blockage, possibly in the EVAP purge line.

A blockage was my guess, but sadly I know how to take things apart and replace or modify them. However I do not know car terminology. The fuel system is definitely not something I am proud to say I know a lot of.

However I don not know where the EVAP purge line is. Do you think I should just redo my entire fuel line system? I mean the fuel line hoses are not very expensive at all.
Tuesday, April 03, 2012 4:48 PM
OMG wrote:
Roofy wrote:Make sure your lines aren't kinked or crossed. To me it sounds like a blockage, possibly in the EVAP purge line.

A blockage was my guess, but sadly I know how to take things apart and replace or modify them. However I do not know car terminology. The fuel system is definitely not something I am proud to say I know a lot of.

However I don not know where the EVAP purge line is. Do you think I should just redo my entire fuel line system? I mean the fuel line hoses are not very expensive at all.

No... It is just extra work and money. If your rubber lines are dry rotted, then go ahead.

Above is the vent solenoid. It might just be stuck shut or a clogged line.

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 7:16 PM
Okie-doke I'll pull it apart this Saturday and see what's up. Thanks for the help so far guys!
Tuesday, April 03, 2012 7:51 PM
How about a brand new properly venting clean fuel cap too, they're not too much, and does anyone here know if it
matters how tight they are?
Mine says to tighten it clockwise only three clicks
Tuesday, April 03, 2012 10:19 PM
j r wrote:How about a brand new properly venting clean fuel cap too, they're not too much, and does anyone here know if it
matters how tight they are?
Mine says to tighten it clockwise only three clicks

I've actually already eliminated this possibility by switching gas caps with my gf's cavalier. She has an LN2 though and my cap worked fine on her's but I can't say for vice versa. =(
Wednesday, April 04, 2012 8:06 PM
Ok, but I was just mostly wondering if it would be a good idea to get a new cap anyway. If her cap is also almost 20 years old,
not that this would solve the problem, but thinking more like maybe we should replace them every few years.

Any trouble codes stored?
Wednesday, April 04, 2012 9:00 PM
Well I've had this problem for quite awhile (about 5 months now) but the CEL never turned on.

Now the CEL is on but that's because I put in new headers but the stock upstream O2 sensor wire isn't long enough, that will be fixed this weekend.
Wednesday, April 04, 2012 9:22 PM
Your vent solenoid is not opening or is clogged, and or the lines are crossed somewhere, I would bet your return and your EVAP line going to the charcoal canister are swapped causing the unused fuel dumped back to the tank from the Fuel pressure regulator to instead head to the charcoal canister... The charcoal canister is for vapor only, no liquid, speaking of which, if liquid fuel went through and leaked from the charcoal canister, you will need a new one, it is ruined.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Thursday, April 05, 2012 7:47 AM
That's right, it may have been a recall, the swapped evap/fuel lines.

Friday, April 06, 2012 10:20 AM
Hmmm....thanks for the additional info guys. There is a high possibility I mucked up. Does anybody have a picture of which lines coming from fuel pump is for which path? I'll probably have to follow all the lines and figure this out.
Friday, April 06, 2012 10:37 AM
How many lines are at the canister? If there are two, it could be just those two?
Tuesday, April 10, 2012 5:49 AM
Damnit still haven't had a chance to do this. Sorry guys I will get back to this when I get a chance and update you guys.
Tuesday, May 29, 2012 9:45 PM
Well I still haven't gotten around to doing it. But I don't want people to think I jumped ship on my offer. I don't think I will have my J-body much longer. It's time for something new so I will donate the $50 to the forum still. Any mods want to point me in the right direction?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search