tutorial for replacing 2.4 timing chain? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
tutorial for replacing 2.4 timing chain?
Tuesday, September 23, 2008 5:49 PM
I need to replace the timing chain on my '97 2.4 cavy. Is there a tutorial written up on it somewhere? I have a chiltons but damn, they just make everything so confusing and I know that it shouldn't be that hard. I've done some searching but all I can find is nickle and dime stuff. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Re: tutorial for replacing 2.4 timing chain?
Tuesday, September 23, 2008 7:04 PM
U need to get haynes cavalier repair manual, It shows you step by step processes.
Tuesday, September 23, 2008 10:23 PM
get a manuel, mark all bolts, get manufator timing chain kit (barrow, rent or buy), get torque wrench, Dont Screw Up
Wednesday, September 24, 2008 6:44 AM
and do a water pump while your there.....

Friday, September 26, 2008 11:18 AM
i tried using that book and it didn't help much so ill let you know step by step right hear. and yes it is a difficult process

note: when doing this job its best to have new chain,water pump and guides, along with 2 8m bolts

DISASSEMBLE!

1. place jack under front of engine
2. remove motermount on front
3. remove harmonic balance
4. remove (i think) 16 small bolts from cover
5. remove 3 guides
6. remove shoe/tencioner using small flathead screwdriver
7. remove chain
(note: it is best to replace water pump at this point)

INSTALL!

1.place crank at tdc. their will be a mark on the crank that will face directly up, if their is no mark remove spark plugs and place at least 12in rod in cylinder 1 and move crank till cil is at highest point.
2. place exhaust cam on time. the mark will face directly down, to lock cam on time get a 8m bolt slide it through hole, (you are not in time till that bolt is in and you can no longer move the gear
3. wrap chain around water pump and exhaust cam gear
4. take the intake gear and put it in time (same as exhaust) but this time retard it 1 tooth. as it is retarded wrap chain around it then pull chain on top tight by putting intake gear on time (advance that tooth back to what it was) and again 1 more 8m bolt through timing mark to lock both cam gears on time
5. then retard the crank 1 tooth. wrap chain around it then move it back to timing.
6. make sure chain is tight on top and on right, if not repeat steps 1-5
7. RESET TENCIONER!!! no one knows how to do this but to reset tencioner press it in till it is just a hair out farther then its case, lift chain so the boot is under while re-installing tencioner
8. to open the tencioner back up place a small flathead screwdriver on small cylinder and press in more, it should pop out if not you didn't pres it in far enough
9. place in your new guides and reassemble!
Friday, September 26, 2008 2:24 PM
I have a question, what tools are needed for this, by tools I dont mean th=is wrench that wren ch, but to take off the pulley, dont you need a wheel puller or something? And what about a torque wrench? Any help is appreciated! I am going to search some pics on the org. and see if I am confident enough to do this or not... Thanks on advance. And how long of an 8 mm bolt do I need? Does it matter? And what thread should it be? Another ? is when you said to reset the tenioner you said to pop it back out I need to take a flat head and press on a small cylinder, what cylinder are you referring to? Like, do you mean press on the tensioner to pop it back out or press on an actual cylinder in the motor? I know I sound ignorant, but that is because I am, I dont know what I am doing... Thansk in advance!

98z24, lowered 2", aem intake, cat-back striaght pipes!, cop ligths in the front and rear, 18" liquid metal's, primer black, tint, full audio and video.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search