Rear Defroster Problems - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rear Defroster Problems
Wednesday, November 01, 2006 10:53 PM
It's a 1998 Cavalier

we tested it for continuity, that's fine

ground is good

the switch must be okay since we've now had 3 different switches in there and the rear defroster never worked with any of them

each line is running 12v and should be running 6v, the repair manual says that there is then some problem between there and the ground but the ground is good.... i ripped apart the panel and made my own ground just to make sure.....

-dirk

Re: Rear Defroster Problems
Thursday, November 02, 2006 3:14 AM
Have you seen this post

Why should it read 6volts?

Alont
Thursday, November 02, 2006 5:23 AM
As far as I know there is also cutoff timer involved. After a certain time the rear defroster switches off on its own. I am not familiar with that circuit. Do the switches you are replacing have the timer as well or is the timer located somewhere else? Maybe you should have a look at that.
Thursday, November 02, 2006 6:52 AM
Sorry Dirk this should have been the link in my previous post

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=11&i=115971&t=115971

Alont
Thursday, November 02, 2006 7:51 PM
well it was that green connector...... a purple wire on one side a black on the other..... i spliced them together around the connector and it works now.....

the connector was baked tho...... it was brown in the area where the wires were, and the plastic was all melted inside
Friday, November 03, 2006 4:03 AM
Glad you fixed it and thanks for posting the solution, it always helps others

Alont
Friday, November 03, 2006 4:34 AM
this is the same problem i am having by the sounds of it...

the purple wire was all burnt up and crap?

im replacing the whole circuit board because it looks like some of the solder on one of the traces is a little burnt up too. im also splicing in a whole new connecter for the rear defog.

Injection is nice but id rather be BLOWN!
Saturday, November 25, 2006 10:17 AM
Dirk wrote:well it was that green connector...... a purple wire on one side a black on the other..... i spliced them together around the connector and it works now.....

the connector was baked tho...... it was brown in the area where the wires were, and the plastic was all melted inside

I know this is an old topic...but that definetly worked for me, thanks!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search